Apparently we changed out more water than I thought - CYA not registering on TFP test

FloridaPoolGal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Altamonte Springs, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC 6.5
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 250
Temp 76
CYA Apparently 0, according to TFP test kit

Well, I guess we changed out more water during the hurricane rains than I thought. Recently, I have been adding more chlorine daily (2-2.5 ppm) to remain at my desired FC level of 6.5. That level was selected because my CYA level had been 60. With Hermine, we took out about 6" of water (which was refilled with rain) and with Matthew we took out about 8" of water (mostly re-filled by rain). I haven't measured CYA for probably 4-5 months since I use liquid chlorine.

Is there really some CYA remaining even though I am unable to make the black dot disappear? Should I attempt to add maybe 10 ppm and then re-check?

Note: I switched over to the TFP method about January 2016 and, after one SLAM, the pool has been perfect all summer. No issues with algae and the water has been sparkling. I used to get a major bloom every 3 months. No more!

FPG,

You may have 20 ppm or so of CYA left if the solution gets a bit cloudy but doesn't obscure the dot.

Why don't you Calculate enough CYA to add exactly 30 ppm to your pool. Then, whatever test result you get will tell you how much more you need to get back to 60 ppm plus (if your interested) you can also resolve how much is currently in there.

FPG,

You may have 20 ppm or so of CYA left if the solution gets a bit cloudy but doesn't obscure the dot.

Why don't you Calculate enough CYA to add exactly 30 ppm to your pool. Then, whatever test result you get will tell you how much more you need to get back to 60 ppm plus (if your interested) you can also resolve how much is currently in there.

The mix was slightly cloudy. I mixed two batches because I thought I had done something wrong to get such a see-through result. I think I'll try to add 20 ppm and then move up slowly so I don't overshoot. I think 50-60 should work well based on the last 10 months.

I put in 2 pounds (about 15 ppm, I think) of 100% CYA granules using the modified sock method. I put the granules in the sock, soaked the sock, and then moved around and around the pool to all the jets and squeezed out the sock. Do I need to run the pump for more than a few hours this evening to get the CYA fully dissolved and mixed up? Is 24 hours long enough to wait to check the CYA level?

FC 5.5
pH 7.8
CA 250
TA 80
CYA ~30
H2O Temp 70 (brrrrr!)

I put in the 2 lbs of CYA about 2 weeks ago which was supposed to raise my 20k gallons by 12. I am now registering about 30 CYA (on the 20-side of the line) which means I was running about 18. The fact my CYA wasn't registering seems to be consistent with the level being at 18 prior to adding CYA.

This is much lower than my old 60 (which I inherited) but all seems to be well, at least for Fall/Winter. The top of my pool screen is a finer mesh than the sides to keep the pine needles from the neighbor's trees from embedding themselves. It also blocks out a lot of the sun's rays. I actually had no drop in FC from Sunday when I checked Monday morning and only a .5 drop this morning. Both Sunday and Monday were sunny days but, of course, our Florida sun is no longer blistering.

I added 45 minutes of wide-open hose water to the pool today (thank you low humidity, no rain and nice breeze!) so I think I'll add another pound of CYA which would put me about 35 (which is considered 40?).

I'll test in a few days and determine my new level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.