discolored Quartzscapes replaster

Jul 10, 2015
Austin, Texas
I have read this forum for years but this is my first post.
I have had pools for over 20 years but this is my first replaster. I hired a start up expert recommended by the replaster company for start up and one month of follow up.
We had our 16K gallon pool replastered with Quartzscapes Tahoe Blue last month (fill began on 9/23/16). My question is whether the discoloration we are seeing (see attached pics) is normal and we should just be patient (as the replaster contractor recommends), or if there is there a problem with the plaster.
The replaster company indicated there would be some variation in coloring (which we expected), but over the last couple of weeks the variation has become even more pronounced and several more or less rectangular streaks (several feet long and about a foot or so wide) have appeared along with a prominent trowel mark (see attached pics). Along the sides there are also what appear to be drip lines emerging below a bench. The builder insists there is no problem with the plaster and that the surface looks great!
The quartz finish was not acid washed after the troweling was finished and filling began immediately afterwards.
Your thoughts would be most welcome. Thank you for your thoughts about this.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 127
Sorry for the long delay in replying to your helpful posting (I had a hard time getting back to the right place in the forum). I have not been in touch with NPT, but will be. I did speak with Greg Garret at the National Plasterers Council and he thinks the problem was caused by aggressive water (the fill water was only 90ppm calcium, and was never tested before filling, and they started filling as soon as the plastering was finished). It stayed that low until 4 or 5 days after the pool was filled, even though I notified the start up pool techs that the calcium was low and the CSI was very aggressive (CSI = -1.5).
Both the re-plastering contractor and the start up techs kept telling me everything was fine until about a week ago. The plaster supplier came out to look and recommended an acid bath (also what Greg Garret recommended) after 90 days or so. Greg said that he did not think there was significant damage to the Quartzscapes, but if the clacium has leeched out wouldn't that increase porosity?
Thanks for any thoughts you may have.
Because there are also trowel marks and streaks I suspect that the plaster application is also at fault.

Aggressive water will dissolve calcium out of the plaster into the water leaving pits, etc. An acid wash will just make that problem worse by removing even more plaster from the finish. But, it could help to smooth the surface and restore color uniformity.

I would definitely get NPT involved before agreeing to an acid wash.