1st SLAM - Very Happy

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
A couple of weeks ago, I got super busy with family and work and neglected to check my pool. Usually, I do it on a regular basis but this time I allowed 4 days to go without even looking under the solar cover. When I removed the cover, the pool was green! There was also evidence of mustard algae. The funny thing is that the FC was around 3 or 4 (CYA 40) but either way, it was my fault for neglecting the pool.

I proceeded to vacuum what I could, empty the filter, and bump up the FC above the SLAM level of 16. As each day progressed, the water got clearer and clearer. After 3 or 4 days of brushing the walls, and vacuuming, the water finally cleared up (also passed the SLAM criteria). I could not believe how sparkly and clear the water got! When the water was calm, it almost looked like the pool was empty. You could see every blemish from my old plaster under there!

Since I suspected a mustard algae problem as well, I then bumped up my FC over 24 as recommended here, and even removed the light fixture to get into the niche. Wow, it was cloudy and dirty back there for sure!

Anyway, I just wanted to share my brief story here to let those people, who doubt what we do, know that the methods here indeed WORK. Like I stated above, I cannot believe how clear my pool water is. All summer long I was completely happy with the pool, and had no idea that it could be as clear as a Sparklette's office water cooler haha.

Now, I think I'm going to buy an automatic cleaner of some sort to ensure a nice cleaning every day.

Now, I'm super paranoid and will NEVER allow my FC to dip too low! (I will try, anyway)

Thanks TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.