Changing Sand

dbilski said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first time on a message board so go easy on me. My stats of my pool are in my signature below. How often do you recommend changing the sand in a sand filter?

Thanks
db

Welcome to TFP! We're easy on everybody, but you are doing perfectly. Usually, something else will go wrong requiring disassembly of the filter before you need to worry about changing the sand. It does become a little less efficient at filtering over time, but not so much as most people can tell.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

On the sand thing, we VERY CAREFULLY used a big shop vac with a smaller hose attachment, as ours was truly contaminated this spring with a huge layer of mold after we had a very big green bloom last fall and apparently did not get the dead algae out of the filter properly before closing. The layer of dead stuff formed an algae "leather" layer that was hard as rock in there. We sucked it out with the shop vac, then - using mfg directions for the filter - carefully added new sand very slowly to avoid damage to the laterals. Good as new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.