Pool Shopping

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
Wanting a pool in place for next summer so I found this forum doing research on different pool vendors. Also bee nreading the pool school section of this forum. Good stuff.

We want the following or think we do:
Fiberglass 12 x 25-27 ft (Tallman model Cancum) (Viking model KeyWest)
Salt System
Heat Pump
LED Lighting

I called and left messages with 6 local pool contractors and the only one who called me back only did concrete. Then I learned about Tallman Pools assisted install program which seems like a good deal but shipping is a PITA. Tallman returned calls quickly and answered all questions. We have a contractor that can lineup equipment and subs so this may be our best option. I am working on getting quotes from a few locals to ensure the savings with assisted install are worth it.

We are currently weighing our options and doing our homework.

Advice appreciated.

iain

Fun times ahead as well as some headaches as you have already found :rolleyes: It does pay to get as many quotes as possible BUT you must check references and go see their past pools to make sure you are being told the real deal.

Good luck and let us know how the "shopping" goes.

Kim:kim:

Welcome and enjoy the process. You are doing things correctly in coming here before your build, and wish I had found site before building.

I have a Tallman fiberglass pool, the Caribbean, which was installed this year (can see small pic of ours as profile pic). We used a local builder which has installed their pools for years. First off, the quality is great. Love the pool.

I also looked into the assisted install, but decided to go with the local guy. Like you I called multiple contractors, but a couple never returned calls - one never returned multiple calls. The one I used for this install called back the same day. For both using a pool builder (PB) or their assisted install, Tallman will send their people to oversee the actual install of the pool. They want to make sure install is done correctly, and as a result, they would not point to install as a reason to not honor a warranty.

We have 3 multi-color LED lights. We haven't used them a whole lot, but when we do, they are really cool and the grand kids love them.

I also have salt water, and really like it. As you will read here on the forum, make sure to buy one which is rated for at least 2x your pool size. You can find most brands listed here. The one the pool builder installed, was too small for my pool (I get over 10 hours of direct sunlight in peak season) and could not keep up, so they gave me a replacement, but I went with an even bigger one.

I do not have heat, but there are many on the forum that do and can help.

One thing I would suggest, is when pouring the deck, add a mount for an umbrella in at least the area where the built in seats are. Our pool has a built in table with umbrella holder by two built in loungers. The shade is great for sitting in pool with a drink and relaxing and watching the kids.

[edit] Also, really cool to watch the pool install. From the time the excavation started until the pool was installed and filled with water was 3 days. Didn't start swimming for another 3 weeks through. Filmed whole install with gopro.

Thanks for the comments.

I've had a couple pool guys over this week and have already ruled them out. The one was overly priced by 15k and the other said they used sand for back fill so off the list they go.

Noted I'll ask about salt system.

Good call on the umbrella stand idea I'll add several.

Be sure to check the warranty or ask for a copy of the warranty statement. We had at least two fiberglass pool owners here on TFP this season with cracked shells and the warranty process was a nightmare. One of the FG manufacturers actually states in the warranty that if service is done the pool owner must drain the pool first and build in the support braces to hold the shell in place before the manufacturers techs come out! That's a lot of extra $$ and time to ask of a pool owner. Also, chemical requirements may be stated in the warranty with proof/history/records of chemistry measurements made by a third party. Otherwise the manufacturer can claim pool owner negligence.

Are you absolutely sure about fiberglass? Have you considered vinyl or plaster at all?

As Matt states above warranty is critical. But more important than warranty is the quality of the install of a fiberglass pool. Just hiring a contractor to do the work frankly is not good enough. With a fiberglass pool you want someone with experience who has done 10 or 20 fiberglass pool installs. These are the folks who know what to excavate, how to backfill and have the skill to get the pool in level and well supported. None of that is easy and learning those skills and practicing them on a regular is very important to a well constructed fiberglass pool.

Fixing construction mistakes in liner or plaster pools is generally relatively simple compared to repairing fiberglass pools. So generally you want to lean towards the guy with the most experience.

Be sure to check the warranty or ask for a copy of the warranty statement. We had at least two fiberglass pool owners here on TFP this season with cracked shells and the warranty process was a nightmare. One of the FG manufacturers actually states in the warranty that if service is done the pool owner must drain the pool first and build in the support braces to hold the shell in place before the manufacturers techs come out! That's a lot of extra $$ and time to ask of a pool owner. Also, chemical requirements may be stated in the warranty with proof/history/records of chemistry measurements made by a third party. Otherwise the manufacturer can claim pool owner negligence.

Are you absolutely sure about fiberglass? Have you considered vinyl or plaster at all?

I actually emailed and asked specifically what happens if pool is cracked etc. I also asked what are the policies and processes if it happens?

I've seen some amazing fiberglass pools one was 25 years old and still looks amazing. The owners love it and haven't had any issues short of pumps and equipment. Really don't think I want vinyl or plaster or concrete. I have friends with a concrete pool or gunite and they have had to have it resurfaced a few times. Then I have friends with vinyl liner and they are on their 5th liner. These are all long time pool owners. The happiest of the lot is the fiberglass owner.

Are there any other potential issues that we should be aware of?

As Matt states above warranty is critical. But more important than warranty is the quality of the install of a fiberglass pool. Just hiring a contractor to do the work frankly is not good enough. With a fiberglass pool you want someone with experience who has done 10 or 20 fiberglass pool installs. These are the folks who know what to excavate, how to backfill and have the skill to get the pool in level and well supported. None of that is easy and learning those skills and practicing them on a regular is very important to a well constructed fiberglass pool.

Fixing construction mistakes in liner or plaster pools is generally relatively simple compared to repairing fiberglass pools. So generally you want to lean towards the guy with the most experience.

Thanks I will ask about experience of the people doing pool install.

I am leaning toward a Tallman assisted install. They coordinate with my contractor and the subs but Tallman sends out two guys with the pool to make sure the pool is installed properly and everything works. I've done extensive research on Tallman and haven't found anything to be concerned about..... Yet.

I am leaning toward a Tallman assisted install. They coordinate with my contractor and the subs but Tallman sends out two guys with the pool to make sure the pool is installed properly and everything works. I've done extensive research on Tallman and haven't found anything to be concerned about..... Yet.

I went with them and filmed the entire install from ground break to water filled and the pouring of the concrete (time lapsed)- was fun to go back and watch. Tallman reps delivered the pool and examined the hole and setup and coordinated the actual install. Couldn't be happier. They have detailed excavation drawings available, which should be more than enough for a qualified excavator.

I had an autocover installed, which was a first for my PB, who does a lot of tallman pools. The only slight issue is the skimmer is at the head of the pool, which is also where I wanted the cover installed. We wanted a diving board (have 8' deep end). So I had to find a 10' diving board since it would go behind the skimmer, then cover box. Not a big deal, but a learning process for all.

Would love to see a pic of your coverbox GaryT58.

To the OP- We've been very happy with our fiberglass pool, and our install. Our cement deck goes right up over the edge of the pool, a bullnose coping shape I believe its called? When it comes to decking, and cement is the least expensive, get absolutely the most you can afford! No one ever complained about having too much deck area to put chairs on.....but lots of folks who only take the 3' the pool builder provides routinely regret that narrow area later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support