Running DE filter with less than recommended DE

Jun 27, 2015
Uniontown, Ohio
It has been an incredibly busy Sept/Oct including getting married/honeymoon, ridiculous work rush, and getting a (high maintenance) new dog. So the pool was lower priority, kept saying "I'll close it this weekend...", never did. Got very green, started cleaning it up to close it. Backwashed, then realized I didn't have enough DE.

I'm in the middle of a SLAM right now. Went from green to cloudy from last night (topped off w/ bleach this morning and early afternoon).

I figure I added about 3 lbs when it calls for 4.8.

Dave,

I think you are fine for now, but I would buy more DE and do the backwash again as soon as you can. It would not hurt, if you have not done if for a while, to go ahead and take the filter apart and clean the grids.

Jim R.

Only thing that'll happen is the grids will get dirty faster thus increasing the filter psi and slowing your flow on the return and prolonging the clearing ability of said filter. Run it till the pressure gets close to 30 and pull it apart to clean as Jim suggested. Where it becomes damaging is when it's allowed to run with high pressure for prolonged periods, that when grids get crushed and should be replaced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.