Always backwash filter after opening?

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
When I opened my pool I could see the bottom, but water wasn’t very clear. There was no sign of algae – I made sure to prevent it by circulating chlorine with a sub pump a week or two before opening. The water got crystal clear in two days or so and after about three days the DE filter pressure went up by 8 and then it dropped again by 6, so it’s now 12 instead of the original 10. I wonder why the pressure went up and down and if I should backwash no matter what the pressure is now.

Water_man said:
When I opened my pool I could see the bottom, but water wasn’t very clear. There was no sign of algae – I made sure to prevent it by circulating chlorine with a sub pump a week or two before opening. The water got crystal clear in two days or so and after about three days the DE filter pressure went up by 8 and then it dropped again by 6, so it’s now 12 instead of the original 10. I wonder why the pressure went up and down and if I should backwash no matter what the pressure is now.

Each season, after opening when the water chemistry is where I want... I backwash whether needed or not. I also backwash at least once a month regardless of what the pressure reading is. Backwashing takes less than 15 minutes, DE is cheap and I have big enough a property so waste water is not an issue. The pump/filter works less harder this way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.