Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Always backwash filter after opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

Always backwash filter after opening?

When I opened my pool I could see the bottom, but water wasn’t very clear. There was no sign of algae – I made sure to prevent it by circulating chlorine with a sub pump a week or two before opening. The water got crystal clear in two days or so and after about three days the DE filter pressure went up by 8 and then it dropped again by 6, so it’s now 12 instead of the original 10. I wonder why the pressure went up and down and if I should backwash no matter what the pressure is now.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Always backwash filter after opening?

Quote Originally Posted by Water_man
    When I opened my pool I could see the bottom, but water wasn’t very clear. There was no sign of algae – I made sure to prevent it by circulating chlorine with a sub pump a week or two before opening. The water got crystal clear in two days or so and after about three days the DE filter pressure went up by 8 and then it dropped again by 6, so it’s now 12 instead of the original 10. I wonder why the pressure went up and down and if I should backwash no matter what the pressure is now.
    Each season, after opening when the water chemistry is where I want... I backwash whether needed or not. I also backwash at least once a month regardless of what the pressure reading is. Backwashing takes less than 15 minutes, DE is cheap and I have big enough a property so waste water is not an issue. The pump/filter works less harder this way.
    26Kgal IG Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1HP Superpump
    Hayward Pro Grid 4800 DE Filter
    thepoolcleaner pressure side cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Always backwash filter after opening?

Well, you talked me into doing it It took way over 15 minutes, with all the hose couplings and clamps, and my wife almost getting hosed by backwash water, but who's counting. Thanks for the pep talk
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.