Fitting Leak - Repair Options

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Guys, pictured is the tube that runs from my filter head. It looks the I have a lead from the threaded part of this fitting that goes into the PVC.

Is there a way to fix this without having to replace the PVC?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1006.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. The photo is turned.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I tried fixing the photo. No luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 82
  • fullsizeoutput_2db.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2db.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 82
I would remove the fitting and try to refit it with teflon paste. I recommend that over teflon plumbers tape. If that doesn't work, you could also drill out the existing hole and insert a larger adapter between the PVC and existing fitting.

I would remove the fitting and try to refit it with teflon paste. I recommend that over teflon plumbers tape. If that doesn't work, you could also drill out the existing hole and insert a larger adapter between the PVC and existing fitting.

Thanks! So these fittings. Are they everyday hardware store fittings or specialized in some way? Where would I look for fittings in the store?

Afraid to take the fitting out. Its 10 years old. Afraid pipe will crumble away..

You should be able to find a matching fitting or adapter at the hardware store. What would help is to know what this line is connected to. Is this to an inline chlorinator? A SWG cell? To me it looks like a flow sensor for one of these two. If you can post the make and model of the device it's attached to, that would help.

I'm at a loss for why that hose and fittings would be necessary. The gauge there on your filter is to measure pressure in the filter. I can't think of any reason to link that pressure gauge to the suction or pressure side of your plumbing... might have to put up the bat signal on this one.

Is this your pool or did you inherit this?

Looks like whoever installed that gauge did so with a brass tee connection to remove air from the top of the filter. Maybe there was an air-leak issue and this was their way of solving it. Or, perhaps they thought that they needed to remove the air bubble at the top of the filter to get a better pressure read (?). No idea. But my opinion is that the entire thing is unnecessary. The gauge should simply be screwed into the 1/4" port on the air relief valve, no tee and tubing required.

On the pipe fitting end, my guess is they drilled and tapped the SCH40 PVC. Only problem is, SCH40 wall thickness is so thin that there's probably only a couple of threads there which, I'm guessing, are shot now that you have a leak. If you do rip out that connection, then I would cut the PVC to remove the drilled section and just re-attach with a standard PVC pipe coupler. It's an easy repair job.

That fittings run/purpose is due to there being an ozone generator connected to the system suction. It bleeds off excess air that collects in the filter.

Gary, as suggested above undo the compression nut and use a pair of plyers or correct sized wrench on the other half. Should be fine, doesn't look too fragile. Re-apply the thread sealant (any of the above suggestions will work) and then re-attach the compression nut. If it does break the good news is that it's a common fitting and your local pool supply or hardware stores will have something that matched. If the threads in the PVC pipe are boogered you can get a 1/4" NPT tap and cut or reshape new ones.

Edit: If your ozone generator isn't working or missing all together (don't see it in the picture) just get rid of the entire thing and you can either cut and glue a coupling or buy a 1/4 NPT threaded plug and plug the hole. Ultrapure has a replacement kit #1008028 that comes with everything if wanting to take it that far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, you might want to open up that filter and give the innards a good once-over with the manufacturer's schematic in hand to make sure that there isn't something else jury-rigged internally in the filter's internal air-bleed assembly....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.