waterbugs57

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2012
SW Pennsylvania
Hello folk,
We had a great summer with the pool and adding the heater was almost as enjoyable as adding the deck a few years ago! My question is: I am closing and want to add chlorine to shock level. When I distribute this will it harm the heater? I have no way to divert the water away from the heater. Any help?
Melinda

No, FC up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], will not harm any of your pool equipment. Low PH is the most likely thing to harm your heater, keep pH 7.2 to 7.8 at all times to avoid damage.

Thank you for the info. Thinking of having someone winterize the heater. I have had no problem doing it myself from day 1 but the heater was hard plumbed and I don't want to disassemble it and reassemble in the spring. They said they would put antifeeze in it. I really am not sure what they do, will antifreesze contaminate my pool?

What I do when opening in the spring is start up the pump with the MPV in the Waste setting first. That way, any antifreeze on the suction side goes to waste. The minimal amount that is in the return lines (sometimes I don't even put any in the return lines) goes in the pool. It's RV antifreeze which is not toxic like automotive antifreeze. It may consume a little FC for a week or so until it dissipates. There's no need to put RV antifreeze into the heater intentionally. Thoroughly draining/blowing out is enough.

Draining the heater is very easy and requires no disassembly. The valve is located on the outside of the unit. Looks something like this:
s-l225.jpg

Only need to turn the "wings" part counter-clockwise to allow the heater to drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.