New pool first time owner Tampa Fl

Oct 16, 2016
Tampa
We'll after years of talking about it, the wife and I decided to put in a pool. Our backyard was an overgrown mess and never used. We signed a contract two weeks ago. Last week the jungle got torn down and stumps were ground out. The pool company is planning on coming this week to bust up the old concrete patio and to layout the frame (or whatever it's called) so that when they get the permit back from the county they can start digging.

We're super excited and I'm sure we'll have a ton of questions along the way. It is 390 sf ft 33' by 14' and fairly shallow 3-5 ft deep. We decided to go with a salt water system, a Luna quartz finish, a sunshelf, and a rock waterfall. We debated back and forth with pavers or travertine and ultimately decided on pavers.

Will update with pictures and questions along the way. Thanks for the add- Scott

HI! SWEET! Anther FL person! I am glad t see you and your pool design and the before and after pics!

You sure did gain some room taking the trees out :shock: Well done!

How deep are you thinking for the pool? How deep for the ledge?

Do you have your equipment list yet? If you do share it and we will help make sure it is what and how how big you need. See if you can find out how many gals the PB thinks the pool will be.

We love to help build pools. THEN we will teach you how to care for it so you never get Pool $tored!

Kim:kim:

Three feet is pretty shallow. You might want to hold a tape measure beside your leg and see if you really want it that shallow. Also, whatever depth you choose, make sure it is noted "water depth" not depth from the coping elevation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At least you can see the shape and placement..........how does it look to you? Have you measured to make sure it is correct?

Do you like where it is and the angles? NOW is the time to tweak it if you want.

Kim:kim:

Yes. I've been outside with the tape measure and the plans. The numbers are a little off from the design. It looks about 2 feet longer and it's closer to the fence but that's fine by me. Otherwise it looks good. Also getting to see how much sun and shade the pool will have (during this time of year anyway.)

Hi tampascott here are a few suggestions
Congrats, some suggestions if I may?
1. If you are putting a pool cage, Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad.
5. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
6. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
8. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
9. Put in footers for future screen cage. Some people do not like the pool cage however we believe in it as we swim a lot at nighttime.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics

Thanks for your suggestions. We are planning on a future raised composite deck that will go up against the paver patio. This is where we'll have some sort of outdoor kitchen. So we'll run the electric there now. Adding water also makes sense. I'll look in to that as well.

No interest in a heater or screen, but the pb said that can easily be added later if we wanted to. Although we're forgoing the footers due to the irregular shape of the deck. But that could be squared off in the future and footers added.

The location of the equiptment pad will have plenty of room to expand. I was planning on putting down landscape fabric and then crushed shell for that area. But it sounds like many chose to pour a concrete pad.

Build Day 2. Rebar all finished and plumbing roughed in. %5BURL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/7873/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0922.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/7873/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0922.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.