How to connect blower (cyclone?) to suction line?

cdsill

Oct 16, 2016
Iowa City, IA
Newb closer here. I tried blowing my skimmers today with an air compressor, but it would just gurgle and not really purge much water. I'm thinking I need to get a blower and remove the pump and blow right into the suction side plumbing. But how does one go about connecting a blower to the plumbing?

When I use my shop vac, my 2" rigid hose attachment sort of fits into the skimmer bottom hole. I've also put my cone-shaped attachment on the hose and held it in the hole to get a decent seal. I think next year I'm going to get at 2" to 1.5" adapter so that I can use a short piece of vacuum hose, which fits snugly into the base of the skimmer. That is unless I go for a real set up as follows...

The perfect set up would be this, screwed into skimmer bottom hole:
Amazon.com: Hayward SPX1091Z4 Hose Male Smooth Adapter Replacement for Hayward Automatic Skimmers and Filters: Patio, Lawn Garden
With this line hooked to it, going to your blower:
Amazon.com : Pentair R211256 Flexible 3 Ft. Vacuum Hose Replacement Leaf Traps : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden
And this beast pushing the air:
Cyclone Vacuum and Blower - 3 HP - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - Amazon.com

Do you have a Cyclone? If so, the hose you need is flexible enough to bend 90 degrees and be placed in the pump basket and this is where you would blow air through, both on the return side and suction side. I created a modified cover.

JVTrain links are perfect. You can order directly from Amazon. Please note that some websites have the Cyclone on sale, but it may be the older model. I do not know. Blowing directly from the skimmer, especially with the cyclone will work perfectly fine. Multi-port (if you have one) on recirculate.

Thanks for the responses! I bought the exact equipment recommended by JVTrain, the last of it should arrive Thursday. I'll update after I finish. A couple quick follow-up questions.

First, will a pump's impeller impede the flow of air when you are trying to blow out lines? That is, if I'm only blowing from the skimmer, will I really get enough air all the way through to blow out the valve, heater, aux pump (cleaner), and return lines. I can control the flow of air so it's not like the heater and aux pump have to be done at the same time. But I still thought the main pump's anatomy (impeller) would greatly reduce airflow.

Second, I have a multi-port valve on the side of my sand filter. Should I change the valves position at all during blowing to blow out the other operational states of the valve (filter, backwash, waste, rinse)?

Thanks!

The best position to have the MPV in while blowing out the lines is Recirculate. This bypasses the filter and only forces air through the rest of the plumbing. You can allow the filter to drain by removing the lower plug while blowing out the lines. If you could fill out the details of your pool in your signature, that would help us give you better advice. Edit Signature

The impeller will not have much effect on the air flow.

Yes, the Cyclone is powerful enough to reach long distances. Filter on recirculate and the pump will not interfere with anything. Have a second person shut off the Cyclone when you plug the last return and close the valve to create the "air lock" in the main drain. This ensures that you do not build up back pressure in the unit.

Thanks for the responses! I bought the exact equipment recommended by JVTrain, the last of it should arrive Thursday. I'll update after I finish. A couple quick follow-up questions.

First, will a pump's impeller impede the flow of air when you are trying to blow out lines? That is, if I'm only blowing from the skimmer, will I really get enough air all the way through to blow out the valve, heater, aux pump (cleaner), and return lines. I can control the flow of air so it's not like the heater and aux pump have to be done at the same time. But I still thought the main pump's anatomy (impeller) would greatly reduce airflow.

Second, I have a multi-port valve on the side of my sand filter. Should I change the valves position at all during blowing to blow out the other operational states of the valve (filter, backwash, waste, rinse)?

Thanks!

I said I'd follow up, so here we go. The cyclone with a short hose and skimmer/hose attachment is a great tool. Tons of airflow literally turning my second skimmer into a fountain, easily blowing out the main drain, and then all equipment and the return side. My pool company charged me $1500 for closing and opening last year so for me purchasing it wasn't really a difficult decision, but it's still good to feel as though you purchased a quality piece of equipment, and I certainly do.

I feel VERY confident that I won't have an issue with freezing pipes. Thanks JVTrain and Catanzaro!

Cdsill:

Any time. Wow, $1,500 for closing and opening. Here in NJ, with a pool company, depending on what you have the price is $300 each time. There are guys on the outside that will open and close for $400. Unless they have to travel an hour to the pool closing, I can not image why such an outrageous price. I am glad that you were successful and now think about the cost savings you will have. For that amount of money, you will pay for the chemicals, electricity and some extra's.

Please add your signature so we know what you are working with. Also, pictures of your pool would be great. Here at TFP, we like pictures.

I think around here closing goes for about $200 to 300 depending on if you have them put the cover on or not. Opening is probably $100 to 200, again depending on cover removal. I could literally NEVER justify paying someone to open my pool. Closing, I can see paying for if you're not mechanically inclined or don't have the tools, but if it were $1500... I'd learn to be mechanically inclined!

Glad it worked out well. I'm putting the cyclone on the list for what I'll be purchasing next summer. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a bargain until then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.