Liner foam padding

Oct 16, 2016
Chesapeake, VA
Hello, All-

My first post, but I have referenced TFP on different occasions - great stuff!

In the Hampton Roads, VA area, we've had 25-30" of rain in the past 4-6 weeks, with Hurricane Mathew last weekend as the latest. Our already saturated ground got another 10" or so last Saturday into Sunday.

While I was able to keep the pool pumped down throughout the storm, about a 10' section of liner came off the combing due to the saturated ground. My liner floated in several other spots as well, but after a couple of days, almost everything was back to normal. I was able to get the liner back in the track, too. Does not appear that I have any tears or leaks.

My problem is that the ground water separated the foam padding from the wall (wall are hard plastic, not steel), so the foam is now bunched-up behind the liner in several places. And while I believe the liner is OK, I fear that the bunched-up pad behind the liner could potentially hurt the liner in the long run.

My question: Can/Should I pull the liner from the track and rip the padding out in the affected areas? I tried it today, and I can safely separate the liner to get to the padding.

BTW, pool and liner are just shy of 8yrs old, and I've never had a single liner issue (no "floating", etc.) until this past month.

Thanks for any and all help!

-Dan

Hi neighbor.

We had the same thing happen here on the Peninsula some years ago from a nor'easter. I called Aegean Pools (they installed our pool in 2004) and they just removed the bunched up foam lining (it bunched up almost all around the entire pool!).

I'm shocked our liner didn't float during Matthew. I did let the water level get almost to the top of the liner hoping the extra water weight would help prevent liner float. Either it worked or we just got lucky this time.

Thanks to both for the replies! Sorry for my late response - busy past couple of days and I didn't realize the responses would be so quick!. I will pull the liner out this weekend, hopefully.

For Saturn94...I tried the same with letting the water get almost to the top of the liner, but never over...did not work this time. Just think the ground was too saturated here in Chesapeake. Heard many horror stories of liner problems over the past month - guess I should feel lucky mine wasn't as bad as others.

thanks to all again!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.