Deck staining

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
Pressure treated soft pine (?) indtalled March 2016.
With schedule and now weather, only option is to dry brush and stain.
Looking at semi transparent or even semisolid oil based. I'm not set on anything special. Just wondering if I should wait until spring instead, when I can properly pressure wash and use wood cleaner or brightener and then stain. Or if it is better to just throw a stain on it now before winter.

and one coat or two?
Probably using Defy

doc,
I would wait till spring and prep with power washer. I used semi solid water base stain from Sherwin Williams Super Deck with Duckback technology.
SW has sales with 25% to 40% off regularly

I applied spring 2015 looks good and still beading water.

I only buy Sherwin Williams when they have a sale.

I researched found good reviews and have been pleased with application and wear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We just stained our deck with Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. Local paint store swears by it over Sikkens or Sherwin Williams or Cabot. Went on real nice and so far a year later it shows no signs of wear or cracking or peeling. We preasure washed, used a wood cleaner then a brightener. Brightener was just bleach i think...lol Smelled and looks just like it.

If you havent done anything yet, i'd wait till spring when its a little warmer and pressure wash and clean it real good before you stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.