Aug 16, 2016
Charlotte, NC
c892a8ba0eb463137f3a5e63e1d971bc.jpg
. Here is the stain problem after all is clear. Not sure if we should just let it go as is over the winter?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

The stains appear to be organic, but sometimes a pic doesn't do us justice. You might want to post a full set of test results to go along with this as others will probably want to know as well. You mention "after all is clear", so I'm assuming you recently cleared an algae situation? If so, that would tend to indicate residual organic staining at the bottom that may require a slightly elevated FC level for a couple days or so to help resolve. As a test, you could always try rubbing a chlorine tab on one area, making sure to not let the tab sit in one spot too long, but enough to see if the stain reacts to the chlorine tab. If it does, it's organic which would require the elevated FC level to help remove it - along with daily brushing.

There's another photo in my previous thread here, and the background on all the slamming I've done this summer - Green pool, I'm losing faith in the fight!! - Page 20. What I'm gathering is that the stains were a result of chlorine pucks and too much shocking by the previous caretaker. There is more staining than blue spots, but the blue part looks great. Needless to say, once I got all the levels corrected, and it was crystal clear, when I saw all the staining, it was quite disheartening. I'll check all the levels again today and see where it is.

Swampwoman has been a great help and I wanted to, and it sounded like it might have helped figure it out, but after spending hundreds of $$ on bleach alone over the course of a month, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything else at this time without knowing for a fact that it would actually fix it. I was hoping that it would clear itself up eventually, or I could find an alternate, less costly solution.

Hi Laurie
We can all understand feeling exhausted once you have finished a long slam, most of us have been there at one point or another, or helped someone through it. It can feel just like this at times :brickwall:

When you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the stains the first step is identify them
There are different methods to treat based on what the stain is
You can try the dry acid, vitamin c and chlorine puck tests described in the Pool School - Stains in Your Pool article. This is as cheap as you can get as they will all be readily available to you from local stores
From there I am sure Swampwoman or others can advise on the best course of action

We are all about trying the most simple and economical measures first. We like to save money for more pool toys :snorkle:

The stains look bad, but they arent hurting anything so when you feel ready do the tests and then ask what is the next step

BTW well done on your slam, water looks fantastic :whoot:

The stains in your pool look exactly like mine. The stains started last year in one small spot and are now everywhere. I couldn't get anyone to tell me why. My water is always clear. I tried putting a puck on one spot and now have a perfectly clean circle. I am in the process of slamming the pool but I'm not seeing any lessening of the stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am in the process of slamming the pool but I'm not seeing any lessening of the stains.
Welcome to the forum:wave:
Nor will you. The stains are very likely calcium stains and that is not a stain that is removed with chlorine.

Start a new thread and post a pic of your situation and we'll help you get it fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.