Any wireless control for Gas heater, SWG and VS pump?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
The raining season is here and walking outside to make adjustment has become low in the priority list. Was wondering if there's any wireless and or Zwave capable controller that I can interface with all 3 components?

Raypak gas heater
Circupool SWG
Hayward VS Pump.

^theoretically, if dannieboiz didn't care whether it was whole-house integrated or not, wouldn't the Intermatic PE 653 with multi wave and remote offer the same possibility at a fraction of the cost?

Dannie, Gwegan knows a LOT about electrical, so I wanted to see if he'd recommend or not...I'd been doing some similar shopping and trying to understand the value of the dramatic cost differential and proprietary programming of pool automation when there are so many cheap relay controllers on the market that might natively integrate with home automation...but I suspect the devil is in the details ;)

The Intermatic is older z-wave tech and I've heard it's difficult if not impossible to get it to play nice with newer zwave tech (though have seen reference to vera) but I also understand they're coming out with a software update soon (spoke recently to mfg tech support). For cheap, stand alone remote, you might be fine if you wanted a more economical solution.

I also read over at Smarthome.com that its possible to use the Insteon hub together with 30 Amp load controllers and switch lincs....here's the link: Controlling and Automating Pool Attachments with INSTEON | Smarthome Solution Center

The insteon hub pro is getting panned though for home kit (apple) integration...the older and cheaper insteon hub though does have an app independent of apple kit.

I've been trying to understand better where home automation is at these days as my ENG son calls the market "immature" but for my own purposes possibly apt. There is also a thread somewhere in this forum where a poster (Mailioux I think is his handle) is looking for testers of an automation product. I had planned to try that but hubby (quite likely correctly) has recently requested that I reconsider as he only wants certified UL tested etc. products going into the pool house since we'll be running an already experimental Dome over the pool to attempt to operate in winter. He doesn't want to worry about possible testing bugs in the control system.

As Swampwoman suggests the simplest automation methods are the proprietary ones from the manufacturers. They are not that great.

I have some Insteon and its great for limited uses.

The real difficulty is getting an integrated system. That is the really difficult part.

Edit:

Another important point. The number one reason to use the pump manufacturers proprietary automation is because that is the best way to get the maximum performance out of a VSP. Without their proprietary motor control software you will not get the max performance out of the VSP.

Thanks for weighing in.
Dannieboiz, in your case the variable speed pump would be why my "cheap date/on-off" suggestions might be less than ideal.

In my case with a single speed pump, that might be the direction I go for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.