Box of 'Closing Parts' - Where do they go?

Jul 28, 2016
Western MA
Have a 20K gallon in-ground vinyl pool - new to me since August. Water purity has been great - thanks to advice from this forum and the Taylor K-2006C kit.
Getting ready to close - and following the threads on this forum plan to follow 7 steps:

1) Set water conditions
2) Drop water level
3) Drain filter
4) Blow water out of lines
5) Plug lines
6) Store pump inside
7) Cover pool

'Found' various plugs and other parts in garage (see image) ... It seems most of these are to plug lines - but not sure where the wingnut-seals go (2 sizes, 3 of each) and where the 9 foam inserts go (also 2 sizes - 6 large 3 small). I am guessing the 2 hard plastic slotted seals go the two heater lines entering the house?

My Question - how do I match the parts to the pipes/pool for a safe closing?
For the 'Heater' lines going into and out of house - do I keep these full of water or blow the water out of these lines as well?

Attachments

• Plugs_Gizzmo_s.jpg
    Plugs_Gizzmo_s.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Valves_Pump_Filter.jpg
    Valves_Pump_Filter.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 97
Hi Wally,
I can't help you out. I live in Texas and have no experience closing a pool. I did however send out a call for help to others to see if they can chime in. Hopefully it wont be long before you get some comments.

My guess is that the previous owner disconnected all of the pipes and stuck those foam plugs in the ends to keep critters out.

Open the pump basket and blow out the inlet line, that would be what the Gizmo is for, but there is only one Gizmo and 2 lines coming into the pump???
Looks like you can open the union right above where the return pipe goes underground and blow that out, the rubber plugs most likely go in the eyeballs in the pool.

The stuff going into the wall, what is that for? It looks like it might drain easily.

I would close all the pipes back up to create an airlock in the lines.

I would agree with Griswald's assessment of the foam pieces. The only time I have heard about the use of foam pieces is using cut up pool noodles in the skimmer to absorb the crush force of ice in case a skimmer fills with rain water and freezes.

I've seen foam "noodles" put into the openings of skimmer and return lines, to act as insurance in the event water leaks back in after plugging or they're not fully blown out. Basically giving some extra expansion room. These are normally longer like 12" or more. For the plugs, you should be able to deduce which fit which lines by diameter. Look at all that needs to be plugged, and go from there. Some return lines will accept a threaded plug, so those white ones could be for either the heater line or the returns at the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use pieces of foam similar to those to fill the holes in the concrete after the ladders have been removed. Probably not necessary, but it does keep some of the water out.

Great - thank you all. I could not see the foam pices used in any of the You Tube videos on pool closings. However - there were 2 Gizmo's - I thought the second one was a spare. The pipes running into the house are for heating the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.