CYA reading...?

Feb 6, 2013
Jupiter, Florida
Came across all the posts on the CYA black dot test and the variance given by the Taylor 50ppm standard solution. See that it isn't being sold anymore on TFTestkits. Actually can't find it in small quantity (less than 16oz) anywhere. Have no CYA test reading experience so nothing to compare to and I doubt my readings on every test. Waist high, sun to my back, etc. if all fine but if I don't know what it should look like then....?? Some say completely gone, others say you can barely see the edges, etc. Is my only option to just go ahead and order the 50ppm solution and use it to train my eye? Learn what 50ppm looks like and go from there? Probably 14 ounces more than I will ever need.

I wouldn't worry about it quite so much. Pour it back and forth and walk around to different light and see what your readings are. They will likely tend to be within 10 ppm of each other. If in doubt raise it to the next 10 ppm. It is only another 1 or 2 ppm of FC. More FC is always better than less. And remember it is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA and it is not safe to swim below the min for your CYA. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

I too have a lot of difficulty and very limited experience with the CYA testing. It is indeed one of the hardest to learn for anyone. That and OTO chlorine for me, I have a hard time with the yellows. I

found this info on CYA testing at Taylor very helpful. You can see where the black dot is missing but can still make out the bottom rim of the tube. Remember the size of the dot and when that dot is gone, then you have found the correct reading. This is right on the Taylor site, so their pics should be a good standard of what to look for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.