Winter cover dilemma

Oct 10, 2016
Bloomsburg, PA
Folks,

This is what I have: 15'X30' oval above ground pool, living in northeastern Pennsylvania. This is my fourth year with it but never seem to close it to my liking. If i don't get the water off the cover, it just freezes and the leaves turn it into a swap.
Here is my solution in theory, lower the water level below the skimmer box and inlet. Buy plugs for those from a pool supplier, raise the water level and put in a a 15' long pillow, (maybe 2 to go the entire length?). Hopefully i could make the cover tight enough so the water and leaves just roll off the sides.

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

I like the idea of it. What I have read is it is hard to find "pillows" that will stay inflated through the winter :(

Have you tried to use a leaf blower to blow the leaves and water off the covers in the past?

Kim who lives in FL so never close her pool but willing to throw ideas out there LOL

Don't think you'll ever get the cover tight enough. I use 3/8 clear tube inside of 3/4" plastic conduit to drain. Conduit helps keep the tube down and pulls water to it.

See the pic for what I use for floats. Floats for Closing.jpg

My previous pool was above ground. Sorry but I HATED the winter cover situation. As hard as I tried, I never got it high enough and tight enough to keep water off. Always had to keep a hose out there and siphon. I added weights to the hose to keep it in the water - and create a low spot at the hose where water would pool. I also kept a 'loop' or low spot in the hose runoff. Water always stayed in that loop so starting the siphon again only required the release of water in the loop. Once it freezes though...

Also, I used part of a screen door to make a big filter at the end of the hose. Basically, create a big (6") 'pocket' around the end of the hose so leaves don't plug it up.

For pillows, I was never successful at keeping pool store bought pillows inflated all winter long. A friend gave me a truck air cushion (called dunnage bag) that worked really well. They are super heavy duty...used as a cushion between loads in the back of tractor trailers. Cheap too.

Truck Dunnage - Dunnage Air Bags

You can get big ones too....

air-bag-kraft-lvl1-48x96.jpg

I've seen a lot of threads on the plastic pool pillows and they seem to have a lot of complaints. Has anyone tried automotive inner tubes ?? More expensive to buy initially but if stored properly when not in use I think they would work better and last longer making them a better choice and value.

I've tried them. Lasted only 2 seasons. They are not made to sit in water. Kinda fell apart, flaky after the second. Maybe it was the storage up high in my garage. The floats I use last all winter and then just stay out in the pool all summer.

I finally bought a leaf cover for my IG pool and wish I had done so for my AG that I had for 13 years. It's only a mesh cover but it's great. Every few weeks my wife and I drag it over and dump the leaves. I use an electric cover pump to get the water off when needed. I purchased at Lowes. The pool store ones are more money (by me anyway). I used to do a manual syphon but bit the bullet and bought electric. Well worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.