In ground 2 speed recommendation

Grhawn

Mar 26, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I just purchased a Pentair 160301 clean and clear for my in ground pool to replace an existing sand filter and am also replacing the pump which was a "AO Smith SQ1202 2hp single speed". I believe this pump is 230v, and im looking for something to replace it that will be reliable, im reading too many horror storys about the VS pumps so i was thinking to stick to a 2 speed style but most i see are "above ground " labled and it has me confused on what the difference is. Im not entirely sure i need a 2hp motor, but i am new to pools in general and would like to solicit your opinions.

I may try to install a heat pump in the future to extend the swimming season but for now its not in the budget. My system is as far as i can tell : 1 skimmer and 1 main drain, secondary drain in spa which is usually off as the spa over flows into pool.

Are my fears justified on VS pumps? Do they make in ground compatible 2 speed pumps? What other energy efficent options are available?

Thanks kindly for any assistance in advance

The Pentair Superflo pump is a good pump for inground pools. It is available in 1, 1-1/2 and 2 hp on 2 speed models. It is also available in a variable speed model that is 1-1/2hp. You probably only need a 1hp or 1-1/2hp model.

More here, http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pumps-inground-superflo-high-performance-pumps-165.htm

I personally prefer a VS pump, installing a surge protector in the electric panel will prevent most damage to the on-board electronics of a VS pump.

The difference between an inground pool pump and an above ground pool pump is that the in ground pumps are self priming. Above ground pumps don't need to be self priming because they are installed below the water line of the pool.

I'm not sure what "horror stories" you are referring to but I have had a Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump in operation for over 4 years now without a single issue (knock on wood). There are many VSP owners on this forum that have had the same level of longevity and quality. Yes, when VSPs were first introduced to the market many years back, there were problems. But those issues are mostly solved and, if installed with the proper surge protective device at the pool power panel, a VSP is pretty much bullet proof.

That said, if you wish to go with a 2-speed pump that is certainly a very good choice. A 2-speed pump, depending on electric utility rates, will pay for itself in a few years while a VSP might not pay for itself given the higher upfront cost. Mark (mas985) has a spreadsheet to help cut through a lot of noise and allow you to compare pumps across different makes and models -

Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?

Thanks team, i ended up ordering : Pentair 340044 SuperFlo, 2 speed, 2 hp for $484 off of amazon, significantly cheaper than any pool store in town.

All in im hovering around $1800 for the entire system doing it myself instead of contractors $3,500 quote

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.