Teledyne Laars heater ignites hard

EAnton

Jan 31, 2016
Coppell, TX
I called the home warranty because the heater pilot would not ignite. They sent a pool guy. He replaced the pilot assembly.

Now the pilot lights, then when the pilot ignites the burners... oh man, lookout. Boom! The whole house shakes and the exhaust stack blows off the top.

I'm not calling that dude back out.

Any suggestions before I start throwing money at it?

Turn down the flow to the burners or pilot maybe?

Last edited:
The technical term is "delayed ignition." The homeowner term is "Holy ... !"

Causes could be dirty burners or crossovers, misaligned burners, or pilot, wrong pilot burner, etc.

You would probably be better off with an hvac guy rather than a pool guy. It's basically just a gas boiler...

Also, I'm personally not a fan of home warranty companies. They specify the rates they pay to their subs, and it's usually pretty low. Contractors sign up with them for more business and soon find out they can barely make any money, especially when the correct repair is often not approved in favor of the band-aid.

Thanks guys.

I'm not a big fan of home warranty but it came with the home purchase, it's a local firm and they actually have an HVAC contractor we've had out a few times now and been pretty happy with. We've got the warranty another month so I'll see if they will send the HVAC contractor out to inspect.

Okay. Now I'm just mad.

I went out this afternoon and popped off the front cover to check if everything looked clear and aligned.

The guy didn't reattach the pilot assembly to the mounting bracket. It was just hanging there, held up by the supply line, way out of position. No wonder...

I found the mounting screw on the floor of the heater, fastened the pilot into position and now it fires up silky smooth.

The Home Warranty is getting phone call Monday AM
:rambo:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.