A Better CYA Test Kit?

G

Is there a better way to test your CYA? I find it to be somewhat subjective imagining when that black dot dissappears? Is there something that is more of an exact science? I would love to see more tests like the DPD-FAS Chlorine. No guess work involved with that one.

I expect somebody has worked up an electronic photosensor to measure the turbidity and that could be calibrated to CYA level. I'm not a hardware guy, but it seems like the kind of thing a homebrewer would be inclined to try. I might even know somebody with that inclination, actually.
--paulr

The electronic testers, including a number of models with photosensors, have more trouble with the CYA turbidity test than they do with the color change tests. Even the fancy electronic testers are no match for an experienced user reading the Taylor CYA test.

I was at a good pool store (a ways from my town), and I was able to purchase a CYA test just like the pool stores use. I like it because the dot moves up down and I can have more than one try at placing the dot just right. Cost $22. $18 on line but there may be shipping charges.
hope this helps, Steve.

PaulR said:
I expect somebody has worked up an electronic photosensor to measure the turbidity and that could be calibrated to CYA level. I'm not a hardware guy, but it seems like the kind of thing a homebrewer would be inclined to try. I might even know somebody with that inclination, actually.
--paulr
There are turbidity meters that can read the CYA test but they are expensive. Turbidity seems to be much harder for a meter to read than color is. it seems. With the inexpensive meters like the ColorQ you get what you pay for.

S Ray said:
I was at a good pool store (a ways from my town), and I was able to purchase a CYA test just like the pool stores use. I like it because the dot moves up down and I can have more than one try at placing the dot just right. Cost $22. $18 on line but there may be shipping charges.
hope this helps, Steve.
This sounds like one of the LaMotte test kits. The CYA test in that kit has one tube inside another that you slide up and down. As you say, it lets you adjust the amount of liquid above the black dot so you can find when it disappears more easily. I liked that test, but the tube was pretty small (narrow).

You can view the CYA test several times per test. Simply pour the sample from the view tube back into the dispenser bottle and start filling the view tube up again. This can be done several times in a row for a couple of minutes after the sample has been mixed.

The Taylor 4088 is cool, however it uses more reagent than the standard view tube.

Thanks Jason.

That's good to know that I can do it several times for a couple of minutes afterwards. I wondered about that.
My problem is that after a while I can't tell if I'm imaging the appearance of the dot or if it's actually still visible.

I've gotten better at it, and as I've continued diluting my pool, my CYA is dropping accordingly. It's around 60 now, which is consistent with the cheapo test strips I bought the other day.

JasonLion said:
You can view the CYA test several times per test. Simply pour the sample from the view tube back into the dispenser bottle and start filling the view tube up again. This can be done several times in a row for a couple of minutes after the sample has been mixed.

The Taylor 4088 is cool, however it uses more reagent than the standard view tube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rbdeli said:
That's good to know that I can do it several times for a couple of minutes afterwards. I wondered about that.
My problem is that after a while I can't tell if I'm imaging the appearance of the dot or if it's actually still visible.
When I get to that not-sure stage, I wiggle the view tube a little, so the black dot moves around relative to the top of the tube (as you look down into it). Eyes are good at catching this kind of motion. If I can tell it's still there, add a bit more to the tube. If it's all gone, read off the number.

I repeat the view-tube part 2-3 times just to check my consistency. But since I started doing the wiggle thing, it's been very consistent every time.
--paulr

I usually go for a second opinion. I do the test then pour the sample back into the bottle and hand it over to my wife and she tries. Then we compare results. Most of the time we agree or are very close so I am happy with the results.

I have the Pentair-Rainbow reagent kit with the sliding test tube. Is the Taylor R-0013 reagent compatible with the Pentair sliding test tube? For that matter, is the Pentair-Rainbow reagent compatible with the Taylor sliding test tube? I find by using this type of test tube, it is easier to identify the black dot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.