which RayPaK heater?

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have searched and searched and just need a bit of advice....

From reading on here, a Raypak gas heater is the way to go. So which one? We have a 15K gallon pool and live in South Texas where we will only use it from October to March. Thoughts? My instinct is to to buy the 40K BTU one for fast heating. Is it like a SWG where bigger is better?

Since you do have a SWG I would suggest looking at a Cupro-Nickel model (as opposed to copper), the heat exchanger is more resistant to corrosion that can come from chemical imbalances and salt corrosion. Might be a little more upfront but could be worth it long term. Raypak is a great brand choice as well, quality heaters.

Since you do have a SWG I would suggest looking at a Cupro-Nickel model (as opposed to copper), the heat exchanger is more resistant to corrosion that can come from chemical imbalances and salt corrosion. Might be a little more upfront but could be worth it long term. Raypak is a great brand choice as well, quality heaters.

Any models you would recommend?

The Raypak 406A series, and model # 014941 is the Cupro-Nickel version. That model is Natural gas and also standard emission, I'm assuming you wouldn't need the Low NOx version which is a code requirement in some counties.

I have one, its 4 or 5 years old, gas has been off to it for about 3 months, I fixed the gas line and now it will not fire up. The pilot lights and then goes out and I get the IGN code. I pulled the front off and there is a lot of rust. Going to try to clean it all and see if that helps I must say not to happy

Well after looking into it gas is not a real option for us. Gas line is about 100 feet away and to have it run to the equipment pad would be super expensive. Looking into heat pumps now. I believe in my case a heat pump is almost as good an option but mostly because we're in such a warm climate. Any models/brand suggestions would also be helpful.

I agree that a heat pump will work very well in your location. It will allow you to cheaply maintain your water temp all the time. Heat pumps are basically just a home HVAC heat pump with a water exchange instead of an air exchange. You can stick with Hayward if you are happy with the brand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree that a heat pump will work very well in your location. It will allow you to cheaply maintain your water temp all the time. Heat pumps are basically just a home HVAC heat pump with a water exchange instead of an air exchange. You can stick with Hayward if you are happy with the brand.

Thanks PoolDV! I have been happy with all of my Hayward products. I have read that some models heat and cool. Any suggestions on model?

Yes, they are available with and without cooling mode. If your pool is too warm in the middle of summer cooling is a good option. I use my solar panels to cool my pool in August by running them at night.

It looks like the HP31154T, here, HeatPro Heat Pump | Heaters | In Ground Pool Heaters - Hayward Pool Products, would be the best option if you are looking for cooling also.

Yes, they aren't cheap. Check INYO Pools and Sunplay. They usually have pretty good prices and both do a great job.

If you are willing to be diligent with the cover and plan ahead you might do ok with with a smaller heat pump like the HP50TA or HP50HA. I have the HP50HA and it heats my pool (20k gal) about 1 degree every 3 or 4 hours and seems to be able to maintain temp so far. But, I just installed it a few weeks ago and don't have a lot of experience with it yet. It also has cooling.

More here, Heaters | Above Ground Pool Heaters - Hayward Pool Products

The deal with heaters is that it costs about the same money/energy to heat your pool X degrees no matter what size the heater is. A bigger heater will just do it faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.