water level management after closing

Jun 11, 2016
Boston, MA
Hi,

our pool was closed a few weeks ago and we have a loop loc mesh cover. When the pool was closed, PB didn't lower the level, basically it is in the middle of skimmer. The reason was to maintain the water a few inches above the top stairs since I have vinyl pool.

Now we had some rainy days, and I checked the water level today, it is at the top of skimmer opening now. I am sure we will get more rains over the next month, and my pool likely will overflow. Should I do anything? Called the PB, he just said overflow is normal. No worries.

Thanks.

Talked to PB again today. He said water should seep through the top of the skimmer to the soil. A pool constructed correctly should never overflow. He even said you should be able to see where water seep through the skimmer. Sounds like very professional. But is that true?

Talked to PB again today. He said water should seep through the top of the skimmer to the soil. A pool constructed correctly should never overflow. He even said you should be able to see where water seep through the skimmer. Sounds like very professional. But is that true?

What your PB is basically saying I think is, your skimmer lid is lower than the pool edge lip. Therefore the water will always exit there and just seep into the ground.

Some pools have a built in overflow port and some don't. Mine doesn't and I use the garden hose siphon method to keep it out of the skimmer.

I would keep the water level slightly above the bottom of the skimmer. The vinyl liner is tucked in between concrete or pavers and steel walls. The water will drain outside the panels and into the ground. Depending on your water tables, this could cause problems in the future.

Drainage is essential around a pool. If not, my township would have not put me through rerouting water and away from the pool. The ordeal cost an additional $5,000 and 1 years worth of time. It was quite a project, which included a drainage pit.

If this was my pool, I would drain and not allow to spill under the patio. Unless your liner is sealed to the extent that water would rise above the patio and drain off because of the slight pitch. Personally, I drain my water if the level is too high. You could also drain when the water reaches the top of the skimmer and bring down to the middle. Everything depends on what you are comfortable with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.