New at closing

Jun 30, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
So I have read up on the closing above ground pools here and I think I'm understanding it all. I brushed and vacuumed today and added algaecide. Covered it up to keep stuff from getting in it. Was going to let it run till tomorrow to get the algaecide mixed in. Was considering adding in 10% liquid chlorine as well. I have 4 jugs of it but dunno if I should add it. FC is already at 17. Ph is 7.8. TA is 80. CYA is 60. I'm planning on using 2 air pillows under the solid cover. As well as a winter pill.
Few questions

-should I use more liquid chlorine? Or just let it go at 17. I hate leaving those new jugs of 10%. But considered storing in the basement until I open it.

-should I use a gizmo or a skimmer face plate? I am torn on this decision. I can see leaving everything open so it drains. I have purchased both but dunno if either is needed.

- can I leave my pump and filter housing outside in the winter but covered up? I plan on bringing the cartridge in but wasn't going to bring in the housing itself. It's all piped up together. I can disconnect though if needed.

So I have read up on the closing above ground pools here and I think I'm understanding it all. I brushed and vacuumed today and added algaecide. Covered it up to keep stuff from getting in it. Was going to let it run till tomorrow to get the algaecide mixed in. Was considering adding in 10% liquid chlorine as well. I have 4 jugs of it but dunno if I should add it. FC is already at 17. Ph is 7.8. TA is 80. CYA is 60. I'm planning on using 2 air pillows under the solid cover. As well as a winter pill.
Few questions

-should I use more liquid chlorine? Or just let it go at 17. I hate leaving those new jugs of 10%. But considered storing in the basement until I open it.

-should I use a gizmo or a skimmer face plate? I am torn on this decision. I can see leaving everything open so it drains. I have purchased both but dunno if either is needed.

- can I leave my pump and filter housing outside in the winter but covered up? I plan on bringing the cartridge in but wasn't going to bring in the housing itself. It's all piped up together. I can disconnect though if needed.
The TFP Closing your Above Ground Pool article states to raise your FC to shock level for 24 hours as insurance against a late algae bloom. With a CYA of 60ppm, FC shock level is 24ppm. Did you do that before adding the algaecide, and was it Polyquat 60?

A "winter pill" is not part of the TFP closing procedure. Do you even know the chemical content of that "pill"?

If you have drained below the skimmer and removed all hoses there is no need for a faceplate or gizmo.

It is recommended in the TFP closing procedure that you store your pump indoors for the winter.

It is also recommended in the TFP closing procedure to cover any filter left outdoors to protect it from debris, snow, ice, etc.

I close my pool with nothing but shock level FC, cold water, & a solid cover with pillows.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.