First time testing water

Barbmc

Oct 7, 2016
Pompano Beach, FL
Hi! I have recently decided to maintain my pool myself, it has been 3 weeks since the pool was serviced last and we have had a lot of rain in S. Florida. The water is clear, but I am concerned that chlorine or bleach should be added because it has been so long. I have purchased a K-2006 test kit based on the reviews on this site. Below are the test results from today and the spec's of my pool. I would appreciate any input on the test results as I am a bit intimated by all the information on testing the water. Thank you in advance!

FC = 6
PH = 7.4
Calcium = 310
CYA = -30

Pool Spec's
15 x 30 Oval
3' shallow end
6' deep end
Filter - Cartridge

20161015_135531.jpg20161015_135627.jpg

Thank you again!

Barbara

Barbara,

Welcome to TFP, a great place to be... :lovetfp:

As Woody says, your numbers look great! I also agree with his recommendation to raise your CYA to 50, due to all the sunshine you get in Florida. Well, when your are not having hurricanes, anyway... :p

If you raise your CYA to 50, you will then need to keep your FC around 6 to 8 ppm. See this chart.. Chlorine CYA Chart

Thanks,

Jim R.

Are you saying that no source of chlorine has been added for the past 3 weeks? If so, I'm a bit surprised that your FC is still at 6, as you measured it. Do you know what form of chlorine was usually added by whoever serviced the pool? I'm not doubting your measurement; just trying to get a better handle on the history, so we can better advise you.

Singingpond,

Yes, no chlorine has been added in the past 3 weeks. I doubted my results as well :) and took a sample to the local Leslie's pool store. Their results were that no chlorine was present. They recommended the following:

6.5 lbs of Alkalinity Up
11.4 lbs of Hardness Plus (not on the same day as the Alkalinity Up)
2 qt 8oz of PHOSFree directly to the skimmer with the pump running

I restested this morning, prior to adding any Alkalinity Up and my results were the same. My error was I added the DPMD powder until the water turned pink, which is incorrect based on the instructions. This morning I added 6.5 lbs of Alkalinity powder with the pump on. I will retest in 4 hours and then add the PHOSFree. Tomorrow morning I will test again and then add the Hardness Plus.

The prior pool service used liquid chlorine. I will use powder because I do not want to deal with the jugs.

Thank you!

Barbara

Hold on, please, before adding more stuff... Phosfree is not generally recommended around here (it is unnecessary if you maintain adequate levels of chlorine). And why would you want to add more calcium, when you already measured more than adequate CH at 310?

What was your test result (with your own kit) for TA? And, if your testing now confirms 0 FC, it's important to get some chlorine in ASAP, so algae is less likely to take hold, and to keep the water sanitary if you are still swimming. Being in Florida, I imagine your swim season isn't over just yet...?

The fact that your pool service used liquid chlorine helps explain why you have quite reasonable CYA levels at around 30 ppm. Liquid chlorine (aka bleach) is the usual recommendation under the method taught here. The problem with all powder forms of chlorine (indeed they do seem so much more convenient, as you point out) is that they always add other chemicals along with the chlorine. If you use cal hypo powder, you will continue adding to your CH numbers. If you use dichlor powder, you will continue adding to your CYA. Chlorine is a daily consumable. Calcium and cyanuric acid are not -- they accumulate in the water over time, and eventually cause problems that can really only be addressed by dumping some of the water in the pool and replacing with new water.

Please get some chlorine in the water (using liquid). We can advise you about quantity, if you like, or you can determine it for yourself by going to PoolMath (link at the top of every page on the site). http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Then, before you add anything else to the water, consider taking a bit of time to read here on the site. Here are some suggestions to start with:
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - Recommended Levels

One other thing I meant to point out is that pool store testing is generally considered unreliable; we have much more faith in the numbers you get yourself, with your own quality test kit. This opinion on the forum is based on observation -- i.e. over the years, many many people have found that pool store test results are so frequently inaccurate that it simply is a bad idea to base your additions of chemicals on those so-called 'professional' results. There are many reasons for the inconsistencies of pool store testing -- if you are curious, I'm sure people will oblige with lengthy explanations :blah: :D

Singingpond,

Thank you for your input. I will not add anything else, will retest after work and post the results. I haven't had the best experience with the pool stores either! I maintained my parents pool when I was a teenager but that seems like light years ago. ;) I don't remember it being so complicated but I was much younger. LOL

Thanks again,

Barbara

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Kiss4aFrog. This site is awesome and plenty to learn!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing you'll want to do is take a look at the chemicals we use to adjust our pools. It can save you a ton of $$$ instead of buying the pool store stuff. Just simple stuff from a big box store, hardware or grocery.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Remember you always have youtube and there are a number of different show and tell videos on how to do the testing, repairs, improvements, replacements ...

TF100 has some really good ones on testing - > https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100testkit?feature=results_main

Here are the test results from tonight's test (6pm EST). I have not added anything the pool store recommended since the Alkalinity Up (earlier today) and plan on returning the Hardness Plus and PHOSFree.

FC = 0
PH = 7.8
Alkalinity = 110
Calcium = 310
CYA = 40

The Pool Math tab has to add 149 oz of 6% bleach to bring the FC to 6, 13 oz of 20% Baume muriatic acid to bring PH to 7.5, 17 oz of Stabilizer to bring CYA to 50.

I am still reading all the information recommended. I think the first place to start is to add the bleach and then retest. Is this correct?

Thank you for all the help!

Yup. Bleach ASAP. Is your bleach really 6%?

Those numbers are really close depending on what volume you are using. Good job using Poolmath! I used 13500 and got slightly different numbers, but close, so you are on track.

I see you are offline. Hope you added FC! If not, first thing you do!

How are things going? Are chlorine levels doing what you expect after adding bleach?

In a previous post you mentioned possibly adding more CYA. You'd probably want to wait with that until you are sure there's nothing growing in your pool (always a possibility when there has been a period of time with no/low chlorine). If you've come across descriptions of the SLAM process in your reading on the site, you may have noticed that the process requires higher chlorine levels to match higher CYA levels.

Hi Singingpond,

Things are going well. I have added 3 qt 1 cup of bleach on 10/17 based on the Pool Math calculations with a goal of 6 for the FC. Retested last night the results were FC 3.8, PH 8, TA 110, CH 300, CYA 40. Entered those results in Pool Math calculator and added another 1 qt 8 oz of bleach. I will retest this evening. Also the calculations recommended adding in 18 oz of muriatic acid. I will pick some up today. The water is clear and no sign of algae.

I am following the advice of this site and you, only going by my test results. Kiss4aFrog recommended some youtube videos, so I have watched those and have more confidence in my testing.

Thank you!

Barbara

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.