Closed. Almost

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
pH 7.5
FC 9.5
CC 0.0
TA 40 (was 100 a month ago with very little usage since)
CYA 50-60

i noticed two things about the bleach I bought at Walmart. It is 8.25% but the available Chlorine is 7.86. In addition, it is not a gallon it is 121 ounces.

3 gallons of that in along with a quart of Polyquat 60.
Let it swirl for a few hours and shut off pump.
Will remove hoses and drop the water level to below the eyeball maybe. Might just insert the plug. I leave the gate valves open so if it leaks a little it won't freeze and burst.

The bleach thing - yes....... that's standard. Just go with the 8.25 number and select 128 ounces on the calculator. If you already added the poly at the same time as the bleach, just remember that as noted on the closing page, we usually increase the FC to remove any possible organics first, then let the FC drop a little before adding the poly. The elevated FC could diminish the poly's effectiveness. Not the worse thing, just wanted to make sure you knew. Good luck!

Thx. I used the 7.x and figured it was all close enough since I used all three gallons. Errrrr I mean 21 oz less than that :)
I read that about the Polyquat and hen saw a few threads where some said it wouldn't matter. I figured with the stability I've had, three gallons of bleach and the full bottle of Polyquat I would be good.
Appreciate your reminder though!
will be testing FC tomorrow and in a few weeks before I drop water levels.
Probably should've tested FC after adding today and then tomorrow. Been really stable lately due to cold temps. I'm not ready for winter.

gorgeous weekend up here!

So glad I checked levels before pulling the plumbing for the year. My free chlorine dropped to 14 and I have combined chlorine of 1.0. I have never had combined chlorine throughout the year.

I just added 1 gallon of bleach since that's all I have. Do I need to add more? Again, I brought it up to 24 ppm three weeks ago and it dropped to 14.

Levels were 9.5 and 0.0 on 10/15 when we put the cover on.
At that time I added 360 ounces of bleach and 32 ounces of poly Quat 60.

It is good you are monitoring the elevated CC level. FC dropping from 24 to 14 in 3 weeks is not unreasonable, but to be sure, you could do an overnight (OCLT) test. Do that tonight if possible to ensure you have no excessive organics in the water before disconnecting the plumbing and closing. Keep in mind that it's possible some of your increased CC could be from the reaction between the chlorine and poly. As we know, an elevated chlorine level can breakdown the poly a bit. So if you pass the OCLT, all should be well.

If you fail the OCLT, you know you need to maintain a SLAM with regular bleach until you are sure the excessive organics and chlorine consumption is eliminated. Best to resolve the issue now before completely closing for the winter. When/if increasing the FC to SLAM levels, make sure to check pH first to ensure it's adjusted to about 7.2, then add the bleach. Make sure to do all the things on the SLAM page (link below) and check any areas where algae could be hiding (steps, behind a light, etc).

Hopefully you will pass the OCLT, but if not, you should be able to complete a SLAM in good time with the cooler water temps. Remember that if you do have to SLAM, it will probably eliminate the previous Poly treatment, so you might have to add more if you really want it. Best of luck.

Thx. Will check in morning. Should be easy since the winter cover is on it and sun isn't affecting.

Didn't like the 1.0 CC

considering I closed last year using bioguard and was around 4.0 FC, i am still hopeful to open to a clear pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.