First pool, first test results!

Plazaglass

Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2015
Atlantic Beach, FL
Quick background: Our small 8,000 gallon pool was filled 16 days ago. The builder is taking care of the water for the first 30 days, which so far has consisted of people stopping by to pour in muriatic acid and throw pucks in the skimmer. No actual testing of the chemistry has been done that I’ve seen, and we’ve been here during every visit.

We had to evacuate due to the hurricane. The pool equipment was off from Wednesday night to Saturday afternoon. We immediately cleaned the leaves out and vacuumed when we got home, and I poured in one bottle of plain bleach on Saturday as well, just to give it a boost.

The manufacturer of the finish says not to turn on the heat or the SWG until alkalinity and Ph are stable, and the plan is to wait to do that for 30 days from the fill date anyway. All good there.

The manufacturer also says to maintain the alkalinity at 70 ppm and PH between 6.5 and 7 but not above for the first month, ideally at the low ends of “standard” chemistry ranges. CYA should be 40 to 60. Note that I got that info from the manufacturer’s website, not the pool guys.

So, here are the test results from my first test this morning. I don’t have calcium hardness numbers yet, because I was unclear on the first results of that and was getting ready to repeat it when it started pouring down rain. I’ll wait until later today to do that. During the first test, however, the color never changed beyond a light-ish purple/pink.

Other results:

FC: 6
CC: 0
TC: 6
TA: 0
CYA: between 30 and 40
PH: doesn’t even register on the lowest measurement

I’m ready to take over the management of the chemistry from the pool builder’s team (and I expect they’ll be fine with that; they’re really nice and cooperative). Now I just need some help understanding what I have here. Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

P.S. I have a full photographic record of our build, and will post a build thread soon :)

P.P.S. Edited to add: We aren't swimming yet. Visually, the water is very clear. Water temp is 74.

Mary

Hi Mary! :wave: Just a few things to consider:
1 - Always check with your builder to ensure you have full permission to manage things on your own - for your plaster warranty. Keep good records.
2 - You can expect pH to rise frequently with new plaster, but going below 7.0 seems a bit dangerous to me, and pucks are acid which will tend to lower pH as well. My suggestion would be to ensure you understand the TFP Pool School - Start-up New Plaster. Talk to your builder to ensure a pH below 7.0 isn't too low. A ph too low becomes acidic and could damage plaster.
3 - You show TA at zero? That would not be good. You should double-check. A TA around 60-70 is fine.
4 - Never add tablets to the skimmer directly - again, too acidic. If you don't have an in-line chlorinator, then just use a floater for now.
5 - Not using the SWG for 30 days makes good sense. Treat your pool like a non-SWG for CYA/FC management. Refer to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and adjust FC as necessary. When you do turn-on the SWG, make sure the salt level is correct and also increase CYA to at least 70 for optimal performance.
6 - Just continue to use regular bleach until you are ready to turn-on the SWG. That works best.

Nice to hear you're back home and taking care of post-Matthew business. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks!

Spending the remainder of today picking up thousands of sticks and branches :)

If the rain holds off, I'll repeat the TA and calcium hardness tests before sundown and report back.

Meanwhile, I'll email the builder with questions about taking over the chemicals and about warranty (and current chemistry) concerns.

Okay, just redid the TA test, and also read this in Pool School: "The solution should turn green or blue. If the sample turns red, pink, or yellow, you are done, your TA is zero, and your PH is very very low (4.5 or lower)."

My sample never had any green/blue; it turned pink right away, so it looks like my TA is truly zero and my PH is far too low.

I'm waiting to hear back from the builder about taking over chemistry management, but it looks like I need to get some borax (and/or soda ash?) and baking soda in stock.

Off to the store now to look for those items and get a floater for those darn pucks, in case I have to let the pool builder care for the pool until the end of the month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.