Line blowing question

Jul 11, 2016
Hatfield
I read the stickies, some great advice. I am planning on closing for the first time.

So, I have a 20000 ig in PA with a DE filter.

I have a skimmer and one return, the other return is plugged by a screwed in cap. I don't know why, I just bought the house.

I also have a slide, which I plan on removing next year, that is beside the point.

Can I get by blowing out the lines with a 2.5 hp shop vac? Is there an order to doing it correctly?

I figure after I drain the filter just blow out from skimmer. Do I need to open up pump cover?

Pic

http://imgur.com/Bj2LNDR

http://imgur.com/bHDhF4S

http://imgur.com/vxTsSSm

Last edited:
Yallyalla:

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature!

The pictures you uploaded are not in your post. You ask questions, but there is not enough information for any type of assistance. Pictures usually help. Regarding your closed line, chances are that a pipe was broken or there was a leak so the return was closed off.

Below is some information that I put together that will help. Please tell us what type of equipment you have and pictures also help. Thanks!

This question comes up a lot. I feel that there are several factors that play into whether or not a
compressor or shop vac will be efficient enough to accomplish the task of blowing out all the lines properly. It is not pressure that is needed, but more volume.

...The distance and size of your plumbing to each return, skimmer and main drain are items to consider.

... Lowering water below the skimmer and returns make a huge difference in blowing out these areas. If
water is lowered, one can literally vacuum most of the water out of the lines first and then blow the
remaining water out.

... Having the appropriate shut off valves in where one can isolate each section is important as well.

... Where you are blowing the air from and if the elevation of the area is higher or lower than return jets
and skimmers.

Below, please find a thread (Post # 10) which describes the experience a member has had with a
pancake compressor and how to work more efficiently!

Closing: blosing out lines, water level and then some

I would assume that an air compressor that can produce 10 cfm may be sufficient to move the water
below the frost line. There is also a difference of the hose involved. The 1.5" hose creates a lot more air
than your standard air compressor hose.

Please take a look at post # 15 and this describes the amount of CFM needed and for what. If one can
isolate each area when closing, the task is accomplished a lot easier. This also assumes 2" plumbing,
which creates less resistance. Some pools have 1"-1.5", which may require more cfm. The information is
from another member on the forum, but I can not recall who wrote the post as it was copied.

Problem blowing out pool lines

Winterizing your Sand Filter (same as other sand filters with multi-port) DE and Cartridge Filters work different

Interesting to note: Hayward Manual for the S244T 24" 300# sand filter, states only this in their instructions for winterizing:

WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two
positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

winterizing with a sand filter

The first picture shows two lines coming into the pump but you say there is only one skimmer. is there a bottom drain too? or what is the other inlet for?
I dont have a slide so not familiar with them. is the line in the third picture water TO the slide or a drain? Seems that line would need to be blown out too. again, not familiar with slides, so ignore if you know how to handle it.

i use a cyclone blower on my system; a shop vac works on everything except a bottom drain.

No bottom drain. The last pic is going to the slide. The ladder is visible in the pic, sorry should have labeled!

I texted the prior owners, they said they thought the plugged intake port was for a vacuum? They weren't sure and gave me poor pool care advice, not sure if they can be trusted.

No bottom drain. The last pic is going to the slide. The ladder is visible in the pic, sorry should have labeled!

I texted the prior owners, they said they thought the plugged intake port was for a vacuum? ....

I take this then to mean the plugged line you initially said was a return is actually a vacuum port?

This is what I am told, not sure though.

I picked up a shop vac. Blew out the skimmer line pretty well. It came out of the pump. I reckon I would close the punp up and put on recirculate to blow out the return?

That would seem to work, but you need to blow out the slide line too. Also, since you are unsure about the plugged return/vacuum line that is underwater, you should address that too. You dont know what it is nor whether it has been blow out before, but almost assuredly, it has some water in it. dont know whether the previous owner put a/f in it either. When you open up next season, you can simply open that plug while pump is running and see whether it is under suction (vacuum port) or is returning water to the pool. In either case, you can blow it out now with the shop vac. But since the opening is under water, you will want to blow from the pump to the pool. This way you can plug the line while blowing air through it. If you find that the air pressure/volume is not enough while blowing from the skimmer opening, you can do it from one of the pump openings. Just be sure you blow out ALL of the lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.