LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We purchased a doughboy filter tank off craig's list since the old one developed a leak. When we picked it up, the owner "rolled" the filter on to its side and "rolled" it to our car. I knew that was a "no-no" realizing sand could get in the standpipe.
So, now I want to see if the new tank works, the multi valve port is full of sand and I can't see in but I'm thinking there is sand in the pipe.
If I reinstall the old multiport on the new tank and run the pump with sand still in the filter standpipe, will it cause any damage?
Or will it just pump the sand out into the pool? It is a doughboy filter, so there are no laterals.

Thank you for your help. ;o)

The only concern I see is sand getting trapped in the valve body and damaging the spider gasket.

I would hook up the filter, and run it on rinse first to push any sand out to waste. Then I would open the multi port valve to clean, inspect, & lube the spider gasket. Once this was done I would either deep clean the sand, or replace it altogether.

While we don't recommend regular changing of filter sand, you don't know if the previous owner over-used clarifiers, flocs, or other magic potions. If while deep cleaning the sand, should you notice any clumping of the sand, or if the sand is very hard packed to where you cannot easily push the running garden hose into the sand, I would change the sand.

Thanks Dom
I deep cleaned the sand with no clumping but did notice wads of some kind of fur (don't know if he had a dog that swims ;o) and what looked like soapy residue. That's all. :splash: No clumping nor hard packed sand. Garden hose pushed thru easily. ;)
The "new" valve body is jammed up so I'm assuming its filled with sand. Our old valve body works well, so I was planning on using that to run the filter.

Could the sand in the standpipe get into the clean working valve body when I run the filter? So would I need then to clean the one that is not jammed? I had it rebuilt in the summer, and a new spider gasket installed, so it was clean then. And I saw how much trouble it was for the dealer to take it apart to clean it. LOL

Thanks again

What do you mean by jammed up? Is the old valve stuck in a position, or does it not pass water?

If the old valve passes water, and is in either the Filter or Rinse position you should use that valve to clear the standpipe best you can, just don't send the water to the pool if its stuck in Filter.

Put your new valve on afterwards, and run it on rinse first.

If you must use just the new valve, run it on rinse until you think the standpipe is clear. Leave it in that position and remove the valve from the filter. Rinse the valve manually by flushing water through the valve from the waste outlet & pump inlet using a garden hose.

Good luck.

The valve full of sand is jammed, stuck in filter mode so therefore I can only use the rebuilt one. It does not have a "rinse" setting. Would the recirculate or backwash position refer to the same thing as rinse?

Rinse is not the same as Backwash or Recirculate.

Rinse is the same as Filter, except the water goes out the waste port instead of returning to to pool.

Backwash runs the water backwards, and will just push the sand down to bottom of the standpipe.

Recirculate bypasses the filter alltogether, passing water directly from pump inlet to pool outlet.

If the old old valve passes water I would use that, just don't connect the return to the pool until you flush out the sand.

If you must use the new valve, do as I mentioned in my last post to manually flush out the valve. Rinse position becomes Filter position, waste port becomes Return or 'To Pool' port.

Thanks for all your help Dom.
Got the rebuilt port semi working just in time to close down for the winter. Manual flush did not remove all of the sand from the new port, so one of my winter projects will be to take it apart. At least the rebuilt one seems to work.
Now I find some air infiltration while running filter but I think that is also a winter project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.