Pool Plumbing Questions

Grhawn

Mar 26, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Hello Team,

I recently moved into a house with my first pool, it was a foreclosure and in real poor shape. i managed to get it all working and clean and pristine thanks mostly to this website, bleach, borax and baking soda.

I rebuilt the pump motor once with my uncle, but 6 months later and its trashed. the sand filter was also trashed, base cracked, leaking, air purge valve gone so i decided to renovate.

right now I've managed to cut out the pump and sand filter and will be shopping for those soon. I'm left with a plumbing mess I'm not sure what goes to what.

I've labeled some of the pictures i took with a perm. marker to help me identify, hopefully with your help.

Can i solicit your assistance kindly to help me identify the plumbing or determine a testing method to help me identify?

the imugr album below, first pic labeled "left side":

http://imgur.com/a/JIRRe

A seems like it might be a backwash pipe to street? I'm not sure how to test at this point - i should have done it prior to pump failure. i was thinking of turning the valve to divert to A elbow and then watch the clean out in front of house for water volume.

B seems like it has some type of one way check valve with the arrow pointing TOWARDS the return, instead of away.

C has a water valve or some type of valve attached, i believe its always been open.

D is a diverter, I'm unsure what its name is, but i know it controls the pop ups in the pool. it looks like its been gutted and rotting away. i am going to try to find a replacement online via the #'s on it and dig up the PVC further so i can attach it properly. (edit: i think this may be the right rebuilt kit? https://www.amazon.com/540251-5-Port-Feed-T-Valve-Retrofit/dp/B006H3WNAY/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1476470560&sr=1-2&keywords=A%26A+Manufacturing+540251)

the second picture has E on the elbow, prior to the elbow is an "ortega" valve, this controls the jets and water circulation in the spa thing. i need to replace this as it requires the strength of an olympic power lifter to turn even though i rebuilt it.

AA Manufacturing Valve Kit for 5 Port Top Feed - Tsunami Upgrading Kit 540251, this is a little cheaper. Looks like a old Patio Pool build. Everything from point A to D is on the return portion of your system. Point B could be a return to the spa to provide filtered water in the pool function, would probably replace the check valve with a Jandy or Waterway one. They are serviceable. Valve C looks like some kind of makeup line back to pool. You are correct E is the spa jets and replacing with a Jandy neverlube would be the way to go. Although you will have to start all the way back to the first 3-way valve. As far as A goes it could be a drain but no way to be sure until your replumbed and startup. It also may be some kind of line to a waterfeature in the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.