First time pool owner, here are my numbers

Pyleit

Oct 14, 2016
Las Vegas NV
Hello everyone. I've been reading up since I had the pool installed and bought the tf100xl test kit. Here are my numbers as of this morning. I am new to this, so any questions or suggestions are encouraged. I know my CYA need to come up. My pool builder literally filled pool and has left me to figure the rest out. No support or suggestions on balancing or maintaining the water. Thank you

15000 gallon pebble tech pool.
Las Vegas NV
Cover pools automatic cover, always closed unless we are swimming. Blocks all UV
jandy aqua pure SWG running 55%, pump runs 10 hours a day
FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
TA 100
CYA 0
PH 7.5

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I would raise the CYA to only about 30 ppm since you keep it covered so much.

Then, you will probably have to lower your SWG run-time percentage to much lower.....trying to keep FC in the 3 ppm range.

How much Pool School have your read? Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry"?

Hello, I have browsed over most of pool school, am reading it fully now and trying to understand how each chemical effects the overall balance. I'll start low on CYA and go from there. How will I know when the CYA is at an appropriate level? We have small kids and keep it closed at all times unless we are swimming for their safety. As they get older we will leave it open more.

Sweet pool!!!

Determing a good CYA level with an automatic cover, especially in your climate, can be a challenge. When it's closed for 23ish hours, you don't need much chlorine from your SWG. Then if you open it all day for a party, ZAP!, your FC gets burned off by the sun because your CYA is low.

You may need more than 30ppm CYA, but as Dave recommended, you can start there. Test frequently watching that you never hit the minimum FC for your current CYA level. Here's the FC/CYA chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

If you go with a low CYA, please increase your SWG output before a party, prepare to test frequently during the party, and supplement with bleach as needed.

Cool. Good to hear your confidence!

For years I have kept my CYA between 30-40 here in Chicago. This summer was brutally hot and my cover was open a lot not only for extra swimming, but also to cool the water temps down. (The cover retains heat). I had to raise my CYA to 50 because my FC was burning off faster than I could adjust it with my normal testing regimen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.