My Solar Heat is BETTER than Yours! ;)

Kirbinster - you questioned me on what I meant about "first generation" - I answered.
There are better systems available, however, the current price does not make it a mainstream product - some people like my friend who have the "in" are lucky enough or rich enough to get their hands on equipment that we (the general public) won't see for a few years. Well, I can get my hands on it at a price..... thus my statement of:

With regards to the solar cells - the setup that Kirbinster has looks to be 1st generation, they've also come a long way in solar, but at a price too dear for me, however, a friend has a setup which produces about 3 times the power for the same area as a 1st generation setup, also, the longevity of the panels has increased dramatically.

Why do people start to feel offended right away - at least this is what it sounds like to me - forgive me if I'm reading you wrong here, but I merely stated that your panels look to be 1st generation, I did not say your panels are Crud or useless - 1st generation does not imply that, nor do i think that, I actually feel that you're doing a great thing by going solar yet you reply like I insulted you.

With regards to the 208 being "skimped on", The production process and cell structure is different - according to sharp, it's a a more efficient and completely different cell, (more silicone is not always better) they actually produce almost 50% more current (A) at a lesser voltage than the 180's and carry the same warranty as all other sharp products, but that doesn't mean they'll fail earlier - usually 1 month past the full warranty. :)
Kyocera produces a 200w first generation panel that is smaller than the 180's and produces more power, Misubishi is also up there, with their 180w pushing 60% more current at a lower voltage.

The newer technology Linear-cell striped construction PV panels (Solar concentrators) are already reaching past the 140W mark for the same physical size, carry a 25 year warranty (compare to sharp - 2 yr which is already better than the typical 1yr)

Anyways, by no means did I intend to dis your setup, it's pretty cool, I'm sorry if writing "1st generation" got you all up in arms! :)

No, I was not upset - I just wanted to know more about something that is actually available to the public. I realize with technology that the day you buy something it is obsolete and a better and cheaper product is just around the corner.

What I was commenting on about the Sharp panels was that the chief engineer told me that my panels are the best that they ever made and will in most probability last much longer than the newer panels. As for energy density that is not really an issue for me, as I have plenty of roof. I originally wanted to install 14kw but the way th rebates were at the time they would pay 70% up to 10kw but only 60% for the entire project if I went higher. Thus, those extra 4kw would have almost doubled my out of pocket cost - did not make sense.

Phew! Glad to hear I didn't upset you!
Your explanation makes perfect sense wrt what you purchased - likely, the other panels were much more expensive at the time of purchase anyways - best bang for buck is always the best decision.
Like anything these days, we have to face it that we have to be content with the fact that anything we purchase is obsolete (or on it's way to being obsolete) the minute the packaging comes off....

10KW is a very large system for most homes. It produces 220VAC power and feeds directly into the main breaker panel. It produces on average about 1200 KWH per month - more than most people in this country use a month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.