Newbie "Winterizing" Question

May 27, 2016
Dahlonega, GA
Hey, y'all. I have a question about winterizing. This is my first winter with a pool. I have about a 35k gallon gunnite pool/spa combo with a separate pump that runs two waterfalls. The pool is free formed and one one side is about a 4 foot wall. Because of this, covering becomes a challenge. The previous owners used water bags and a giant tarp, but it is hideous and makes the backyard look terrible during the winter. It also means you can't use the spa in the winter. I'm in Georgia, so it isn't like we have long deep freezes. The spa could be used nearly year round, so I'm leaning towards leaving my pool open.

I'm having a transfer switch wired in so that I could run the main pump off my generator in case of a power outage during a freeze. The pump for the water feature, I believe, pulls from the main drain. Can I winterize this pump while leaving the rest of the pool open? This way I would only have to run one pump during freezing weather. Both pumps are 2HP pumps, so only running one would also be much easier on my generator should that worst case scenario occur?

Finally, let's say super worst case scenario occurs and I have a power outage during a freeze and have generator problems. Is there anyway I could quickly "winterize" at least to the extent of protecting my equipment and piping?

Thanks so much to you all that keep this forum going. It is a lifesaver for us newbies!

I can remove the drain plugs at the pump, so I'm assuming that would do it for the pump and the pipes that would drain just based on gravity.

The plumbing set up is just one main pump that runs the pool and the spa and a second pump that just runs the waterfalls. I'm guessing that the pump for the waterfall pulls from the main drain.

So, worst case scenario, and based on the probably terrible way I've described this, could I just open up my drain plugs on my pumps before 32 degrees came around? I'm in Georgia, so it isn't like my frost line is going to be 3 feet in the ground. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious. This almost seems too easy!

HeelBilly:

In NJ, when it starts getting cold and the weather dips below 32*, the water on the cover starts to freeze (very thin sheet of ice). Each day as the sun comes up, the ice melts. IMO, it would take a few days, if not longer than one week of 32* or lower temperatures for the water in the pool and piping to freeze as well. There is a lot of insulation under the patio, in the soil, behind the walls, etc. The surface is a different story.

In warmer climate states, pool owners usually leave the pool open and then run the pump for 24 hours for the few times the weather becomes real cold. All up to you how you want to handle your pool and if you wish to close the pool and/or isolate the pool based on the configuration of the piping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.