Plumbing Size

Jun 16, 2016
Fort Worth, TX
Hi Everyone. Our builder installed 2" suction lines and 1.5" returns but our contract is for 2.5" suction lines. They are changing the suction lines to 2.5" and keep the return lines at 1.5". Is this sufficient or should the returns line be changed to 2"? Please help as we know nothing about pool and plumbing. Just feel like this isn't right.

Thank you so much.

Depends on how many return lines you have I guess. If you had a single 1.5"return that later split into several, this would limit your flow. If you had several 1.5" returns right after filter, then I would think it would be ok. Bigger always better though. Someone with better info will be along shortly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It usually depends on pump size and the flowrate your trying to achieve. 1-1/2" pvc is for 40-50 GPM where 2" is 70-80 GPM. If all those lines are returns to the pool and kept in the present valve config, then I don't think it will matter. On the left hand-side you have three lines with valves are they labeled, do you know what each line is for?

It usually depends on pump size and the flowrate your trying to achieve. 1-1/2" pvc is for 40-50 GPM where 2" is 70-80 GPM. If all those lines are returns to the pool and kept in the present valve config, then I don't think it will matter. On the left hand-side you have three lines with valves are they labeled, do you know what each line is for?

No label yet but I will ask my PB. Thank you!

Is that a cartridge filter? If you have too little head loss on the return side vs the suction side, that can put a pump into cavitation. I would say leave it as is or you could create a problem. What is the filter pressure when the pump is on full speed?

Is that a cartridge filter? If you have too little head loss on the return side vs the suction side, that can put a pump into cavitation. I would say leave it as is or you could create a problem. What is the filter pressure when the pump is on full speed?

Oh no. We can't run and test it yet. It is there but not really connected to anything. I will forward this question to pb.

Builder says since I don't have a spa it should be ok. Our pool is 17x35 rectangle pool, no spa, 5 returns, 3 sheer descents and 1 bubbler.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Also please re-think that chlorine tab feeder. Most members of this forum will tell you to forget the tabs and go with the TFP bleach method.

Thank you we plan to use TFP method but the tab is for when I'm out of town on business. Appreciate you pointing it out, making sure we don't miss anything with out build.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.