The figures are in - new pool new test kit

Oct 4, 2016
Western Australia
Hi all,

Received my new Taylor 2006C kit today with the magna stir and set about testing. The kit and instructions are fairly straightforward so no trouble getting some readings.

This is what I got:

FC - 1.6
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 190
CYA - 45
Salt - 4800
Temp- 29deg C (84deg F)

The pool is new fibreglass in ground and obviously salt. It's controlled by a SWG and is mostly covered with a 800 micron PE cover to retain the heat so the heat pump doesn't work over time.

I haven't figured out the SWG as yet. I have the ORP set at 550 but it doesn't seem to be increasing the FC. Yesterday the FC was measured at 3 so it has dropped. The wife and 4 kids were in the pool last night. A friend has exactly the same hardware set up and his ORP is set at 520 and gives him consistent FC's of 3 - 4.

Interesting in comments.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2016-10-13 091538.jpg
    2016-10-13 091538.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 75
What a gorgeous pool! I would suggest that you up that FC soon, as its too low now. I can't comment on the ORP (sorry!) but you can bump up your FC by turning your SWG % up, or increase the pumps run time. Lastly, if you want instant improved FC just use some liquid chlorine. But do something soon or you're going to be seeing green..... and that pool is way tooo pretty for green.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Yippee :flower:

I put some granulated chlorine in yesterday which boosted the FC but it dropped down again throughout the day. The SWG wasn't producing anything as the reading stated zero output at a ORP of 650. I had the SWG set at 550.

This is why I don't understand this ORP thing. When I increase the ORP to say 675 on the SWG so it stats producing chlorine and forget to decrease it the chlorine goes through the roof.

Thanks for the comments on the pool. A lot of work went into it to get it to this point. I've still got a bit of work to do, like build a blanket box, install an outdoor shower and drain.

30K LT BRP fibreglass pool, Astral ZX150 cartridge filter, Astral EVO320 varible speed pump, Astral Viron Ai EQ3 SWG, Astral 9KW BPA400 heat pump, Dolphin DB1 robotic cleaner

Good to see you got a K2006 Dazzamac and the pool looks awesome.

It sounds like your battling with the ORP. I would consider disabling it altogether and just focus on getting the SWG to run for the appropriate time to generate enough FC to stay within the recommended range. Now you have the test kit you can use this to hone your SWG runtime and it will be one less thing to worry about as you get your head around your water chemistry.

The last thing you want to do is fall below the minimum FC for your CYA level as the weather warms up and then be fighting off an algal bloom.

I'm currently running the variable speed pump for 10 hours between 7am and 5pm. It supposedly turns over 2 - 3 times pool volume each day. And yes I am battling with the SWG to get the right setting. I'll have it worked out soon or later.

30K LT BRP fibreglass pool, Astral ZX150 cartridge filter, Astral EVO320 varible speed pump, Astral Viron Ai EQ3 SWG, Astral 9KW BPA400 heat pump, Dolphin DB1 robotic cleaner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.