Cloudy pool

Dec 21, 2014
Earlier I had a yellow algae problem.. and after using the method by bleach slamming.. it all got back to crystal clear pool in 3 days..

After which I maintain the chemical level using granular 70%. I had the following readings:
FC 1.8
TC 2.0
PH 7.4
CYA 15
TA 25

Then, in order to increase by CYA, the following week I put in trickle tablets and after a week, when the tablets started to finish, readings were :

FC 1.4
TC 2.0
PH 7.3
CYA 26
TA 25

And there was slight layer of algae/dirt at the pool bottom floor. I brushed and started dosing with 500g of granular unstabilised chlorine 70%..And then my pool started becoming a little blue.. but now it's slightly cloudy..and there was a few here and there tiny green algae on the grouting
My current readings:
FC 3.2
TC 3.2
PH 7.3
TA 25
CYA 26

Now it's been 2 nights I am dosing 500g of unstabilised chlorine 70%.. is there something I'm not doing right? Do I need to continue this dosing until a week, as per what the pool school stated? Please advise.

The reason that you keep having algae, is that you are allowing your FC level to go below the very minimum it should be. Your FC should really be around 4 or above. Check this chart out... Chlorine CYA Chart

You also might want to look at your TA level... 25 seems awful low to me. Recommended Levels

I suggest you follow our SLAM process until you have passed all three requirements. SLAMing Your Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

The reason that you keep having algae, is that you are allowing your FC level to go below the very minimum it should be. Your FC should really be around 4 or above. Check this chart out... Chlorine CYA Chart

You also might want to look at your TA level... 25 seems awful low to me. Recommended Levels

I suggest you follow our SLAM process until you have passed all three requirements. SLAMing Your Pool

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi.. having FC 4 and above is the Target.. so do we calculate to keep FC at target or at minimum? When do we use minimum?

As for TA, I read somewhere, to no worry about TA until pool is in good condition

Earlier I had a yellow algae problem.. and after using the method by bleach slamming.. it all got back to crystal clear pool in 3 days..

After which I maintain the chemical level using granular 70%. I had the following readings:
FC 1.8
TC 2.0
PH 7.4
CYA 15
TA 25

Then, in order to increase by CYA, the following week I put in trickle tablets and after a week, when the tablets started to finish, readings were :

FC 1.4
TC 2.0
PH 7.3
CYA 26
TA 25

And there was slight layer of algae/dirt at the pool bottom floor. I brushed and started dosing with 500g of granular unstabilised chlorine 70%..And then my pool started becoming a little blue.. but now it's slightly cloudy..and there was a few here and there tiny green algae on the grouting
My current readings:
FC 3.2
TC 3.2
PH 7.3
TA 25
CYA 26

Now it's been 2 nights I am dosing 500g of unstabilised chlorine 70%.. is there something I'm not doing right? Do I need to continue this dosing until a week, as per what the pool school stated? Please advise.
Which test kit are you using to get these results?

As already mentioned, your TA is dangerously low. When the TA falls below 50 the pH can unexpectedly crash down to 4-5. It would be wise to add some baking soda to get the TA up into the 50's.

Also, you keep adding what appears to be Cal-Hypo (you mention 'granular unstabilized chlorine') but you do not post a test result for CH, a very important level for a non-vinyl pool. With all that Cal-Hypo you are adding it could be clouding the water.

BTW- all solid forms of chlorine are stabilized, mainly with CYA, but also with calcium in the case of Cal-Hypo. You should really be using liquid chlorine, aka bleach, as that will add just FC and a trace amount of salt.

Also, you should be following the FC / CYA Chart to slam your pool. With a CYA of 30ppm (how did you get 26?), your SLAM FC is 12ppm.

Pool School does not tell you to SLAM for a week, or any other pre-determined length of time. A SLAM is complete when:
1) You pass the OCLT
2) CC is <0.5ppm
3) The water is clear of all algae

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.