New Build In Mesa, Arizona

PiperVon

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
Mesa, AZ
Ready to dig! We are re-locating an 8" irrigation line from Roosevelt Water to allow a pool, that's a feet in of itself as the pipe is oval after 30 years in the ground so matching up a new fitting to re-locate is cumbersome but getting done.

A little help is needed for an in-ground build in Mesa, AZ,

Does anyone have a list of subs for the following:

Pool Designer for city and build prints
Excavators
Re-Bar Installers
Shot Crete Company
Plumber
Wholesale Equipment House for the pumps filter etc.
I have the hookup for electrician and slab decking tile work...

Pool is 14 x 26 depth 3 - 4.5 - 3 w/ Baja Step, sm. Feature
Design Print 500
Permit 350
Excavation 3000
Plumbing 1500
ReBar 1100
Electrical 1200
Shotcrete 3500
Tile 500
Decking 3000
Equipment 2000
Pebble Finish 4000
Water Feature 1500

Thanks!

Re: New Build In Mesa, Arizona

You're underestimating overall costs by around $10K. I realize you're barely scratching the surface with those depths, but hard costs don't vary that much with a shallow pool over a sport pool (4-5.5-4 water depth). If you can end up getting the pool you've described done for under $35K you will have done extremely well. Your estimate of $22,150 is wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Following up on the depths...please be sure to consider those depths carefully. That is very shallow. 4-5-4 is a depth I frequently see people going with that get sports pools here. Most start shallower and then after further consideration and input from TFP, end up making it deeper. I'm 5' 7" and 3' is still well south of my waist.

Best of luck with your pre-install details and finding contractors.

3 4 5 is a standard play pool here in Arizona. Here we go! So I received 2 bids for the pool, one for 28K and one for 32K. I did my research and will do this for just south of 17K, My bids are in and trades scheduled out. Here is how I saved.
First I researched city permits here and found what was submitted by the other big pool companies Swimming Pools Permits Directory
Discovering how a simple plan is submitted I then went to floorplanner for free and drafted my own design https://floorplanner.com
I then submitted my plan to Pool Engineering inc. for $175 vs: the $550 I was quoted from Alan Money Engineering locally. Pool Engineering, Inc., Structural Design of Swimming Pools and Residential Improvement Structures
I had my engineering plans the next day.
I then created a spreadsheet of each detail and sent out for bids.

6-30-2017 1-29-32 PM.jpg

I now have firm bids and cash discounts. We plan to dig on Thursday, Plumbing on Saturday, Rebar on Monday, Electric Monday afternoon, Inspection Tuesday, Wednesday Shotcrete, wait 1 week then, Tile line and plaster, cope and fill here up!

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg
Irrigated lot so theres that to deal with.

IMG_2962.JPG
Done.

- - - Updated - - -

It says Ive reached my limit to post attachments or photos.

Last edited:

Got my prints back over night, 2 paper copies, however the City of Mesa no longer accepts paper prints. So I called Pool Engineering Inc to have them send them via PDF, they said that would be an additional $50. What! Come on man! They sent them anyways after a short haggle. But lo and behold 1 of the pages was not oriented horizontal so the city kicked back my permit, re-submitted again and am awaiting, maybe the 31st of July although they said they are running a few days behind from this new digital system, I asked if I could pay the $500 for expedite and they said they are not doing that at this time until there backlog is caught up. Great...

DIJa4SJ.jpg

6Eicnkm.jpg

Mike the reputable pool layout guy here was in and out in 10 minutes, charged me $120 and said tell your excavator the benchmark is 1 1/2" for your existing brick patio.

HHXed7y.jpg

On Wednesday last week Scott from Action Excavating called and said he had a cancellation, can he start right away, I said sure of course. Thursday morning he returned and took the last load down the hill 2 miles away, I called a friend with some horse property and he said dump all of the dirt behind my house, I will use it. So that helped!

The Plumber was here Thursday at Noon and finished at 6:15, I gave them a 6 pack of beer and $20 each for a tip. The pressure test has not moved all week.

o24Xjt5.jpg

Friday Morning Scholz Rebar arrived and wrapped that up, it was only one guy that did it all, he was there until sundown. Its Monsoon season here so we had a couple of torrential downpours, it washed out a small portion of the stairs over the weekend. So thats why there is plastic everywhere.

gxKPDZP.jpg

Picked up the ledger stone and water line tile, so far I have gotten everything at wholesale direct from the suppliers saving a bunch.

5rjH2U7.jpg

I ran all of the equipotential bonding and the low voltage light myself, even dug the trenches for the plumbers. I am going to run simply 2 Pentaire GloBrite multi color lights, one at each end, that should be sufficient, they are not cheap! Those lights will pipe directly to an intermax 100 12Volt transformer, then to a switch thru the GFCI circuit back to the panel. The pump will be on its own 20 amp 2 pole. I do not want any high voltage in or near this thing!

qnNzUjj.jpg

Picked up a slab of 3cm travertine 16x16 with a bull nose edge, this will work perfect! The bond beam is actually 8" with a 6" wall so I will need the extra lip.

Whats his name above stated that I could no where near get this done for 28 grand, well Its closer to $18 grand, halfway paid for and bids all signed and paid with cash. I had a bid from California and Premiere for $32 and $29K, Thats a huge savings!

dw5D87v.jpg

lMmvd07.jpg

My brother is a licensed backflow tester so the auto fill is all ready to go with a test cert ready for the inspector.

Doing the site plan for the city was a snap with floorplanner.com, just treat walls as lines and use whatever, there was a guideline to follow from the city as to what was required to be on the site plan, pretty easy although I had a rough time finding the PUFE (property easement for utilities) had to look thru all of my title work schedule B to find an old map, faded and illegible we figured 6' across the front of the street.

SfvOYXZ.jpg

This is basically where we are going. I did have the excavator go 3'6" instead of 3' We had 3' 6" on our last pool and it worked perfect to lounge and lean against the baja step. So 3'6" 5' 4' is gonna be the way to go.

Yeqc6Yf.jpg

I was surprised at the cost of the 3 sheer descents, they were $120 a piece, just a plastic injection molded box with a 1 1/2" fitting on the back.

AbLynKI.jpg

RmADsjc.jpg

Spoke with my shotcrete guy, he has completed a few thousand pools locally, he was surprised how fast we are moving along, now just twittling our thumbs waiting on the city.

He can be onsite with in a day or 2 notice, then a little block work, waterline tile, coping and ledger stone, then plaster. Shouldve only taken 3 - 4 weeks for this simple build. Thanks city, they are only open 4 days a week and said 10 more days, that equates to 2 1/2 weeks plus 2 days for their lag behind, then another to call in pre-gunite inspection, the 2 more for shotcrete. Coming along though, pretty easy after following a few builds from TFP! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My shotcrete guys required me to let the shotcrete cure for a minimum of 30 days before plaster if I wanted them to warranty their work. It ended up taking me longer than thst to finish my decking and tile, but that was mostly because I had issues with my coping snd decking sub combined with some business travel.

Well as luck would have it, my buddy is a bit busy running electric, I got a bid from Dodge Electric for $675 to run a conduit under the stem wall to a switch and GFCI and Outlet for the transformer, a little steep as I already have the 240 GFCI 20 amp breaker which is $120. Any locals know of a good sparky to run this for cash?

aSxAuRB.jpg

Well I got my permit yesterday and had an inspection for pre-gunite, it was 2:00 pm and I found the inspectors cell phone number and asked him if he was still coming, he said No, Im rolling it over till Monday, I said no way! We have gunite trucks coming tomorrow at 5:30 am, he said nobody sprays on Saturdays, I said my crew does, please, please can you squeeze me in today, after some back and forth he obliged and swung by at 3:30, passed with flying colors. I did run an extra bond wire at the outside of the forms 18" from the water line, so the pool is double bonded.

5:30 am Saturday they arrived.

LO28ldg.jpg

And 30 minutes later...

tE3YdaZ.jpg

The block wall I knocked out with a sledge hammer, gate guys built a matching gate to the otherside of the house.

3lFCtu6.jpg

69ZTjQG.jpg

79qAwPp.jpg

1YeZ3w0.jpg

In 2 1/2 hours they were out of here!

Qi66TGp.jpg

vgvU6hd.jpg

16" Coping is going to be perfect! 3cm Travertine.

hf8fI5o.jpg

Wow this build is amazing for cost-savings! I wish I had done some of my build myself. My pool builder I think is getting 50% profit.

I have an updated spread sheet. I went over a tad for adding 56 more pieces of Travertine for an extended deck off of the baja ledge, and paid a couple of helpers to set the block work, stone, and coping as I had to get back to work after taking so many days off. So now we are at 19K instead of 18K, still a 13K savings by building the pool myself, and probably saved several weeks of time.

ipiKHUc.jpg

I broke out my Flir camera to check the shotcrete temperatures after curing for the week, watered the pool every hour or so, from this imagery it would appear the pool is finished its immediate hot cooking/curing.

Df8fZBz.jpg

7zwIcaW.jpg

EKmWCYG.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.