Hey Folx . . decided after a season of coming here for ideas . . .

Camp Pool Guy

In The Industry
Oct 13, 2016
New Milford
Was time to maybe add my two cents . . .

Pool Operator for a campground (pools are pools, just commercial ones have state mandated rules ;) )

Been doing it for a while but my pool was renovated this year from soup to nuts (neither of which I want in the pool) from concrete work/removal/changes/adds to complete re-plumbing to custom fit (in place) PVC liner. Best part of the whole process was that all that repair got done and we didn't build/pour a completely new shell.

Pool spec is in my signature, but its a 30 x 50 Inground in the mountains of Northeastern PA . . . (in the shade of aspen trees (don't ask me about spring and what goes in the pool) . . . but, picture attached (post season) our campers love it. . .

But much re-leaning this year as no leaks meant almost no make up water and so here is where i found info (well last year too . . . )

But...if you wonder why I'm doing some things you'd hate (3 pumps, 2 filters, 2 heaters) i'm more than happy to blather on about my baby. . .

Good to meet you all

Richard

Richard,

Welcome to TFP, a great place to be... :lovetfp:

So, how does a "commercial" pool go about testing its water? Do you have to report your findings to the State, or just keep a log?

Thanks for joining our group.

Jim R.

Richard,

Welcome to TFP, a great place to be... :lovetfp:

So, how does a "commercial" pool go about testing its water? Do you have to report your findings to the State, or just keep a log?

Thanks for joining our group.

Jim R.

Jim -- Thanks for the welcome.

First question first -- I test the same way you all do, using a Taylor Kit . . . strangely enough, I can use the really basic one because that is all the state mandates and in the past, there was no concern about any of the "other" tests/readings . . that said:

Its a WHOLE LOT of fun ;)

PA state requirement is that I keep a running log by month during the season.
Requirements:

• FC readings AM and PM daily from both shallow and deep end of the pool (I use jumbo bottles of reagent)
  • PH readings AM and PM daily (which end up being from both ends but only have to be someplace--they match for the most part) (once tho)
  • Flow Rate in GPM daily (and tandem filters mean one each, not just a total)
  • Fresh Water Added (which for me averaged about 5800 gallons every 10 days)
  • Backwash (they call it "filters cleaned") which is noted as to which of the two or both got done
  • Last Pool Drain (I have no intention of ever totally draining it again. :D )
Things I "additionally" log
  • Morning and Evening temperature (I have inline thermometer on return so it's +/- 1degree)
  • Which heater is in use (Solar or XL3 Oil Fired)
  • Average Weekly Temp
  • Average Monthly Temp
  • Average Seasonal temp (L=73 H=78)

So we keep the log, and from time to time the state can/does pop in and visit with the log to make sure we're actually doing it appropriately.

Additionally under the code, WEEKLY all season long we send a water test out (actually our testing company picks it up) and a copy of that result set is sent to the state. You'd think that they'd test for "all" kinds of things on this "Public Bathing Accomodation" but all they look for (and I had 2 'bad' tests this season) is fecal coliform and where a bad test (in limit but high) hurts me, only a failure is a problem, and the state sends almost immediate notice, and expects another test within 24 hours.) So the one time I didn't have a passing test (downpour rain (water levels ABOVE skimmers) and no weekly slam of the pool (which mine requires)) I was able to do my thing (and I kind of knew it would fail, the pool looked and felt WAY wrong) after giving up the failing water sample, I did all the required things and 24 hours later the replacement sample was grade A passing) (Did I mention I love my tandem filters)

So there in a nutshell (albeit a big one) is how my testing differs ... the tests are the same, but more frequent and potentially reported.

OH, and I guess maybe I should add . . .
1) I am actually licensed as a pool operator in PA ... it's a requirement
2) I feel (having spent yesterday reading pool school (some things I knew, some I did not) I want a much better test kit
3) The pool was filled (is added to) from a WELL which did in fact pump 50,000 gallons in 2 days when I filled it this year
4) I am required to insure that there are 3 full changes of water per DAY . . . yes, I have 2 2HP pumps that never stop.

my pool getting ready for closing: Dropbox - 2016-10-06 16.55.26.jpg
my pool in renovation: Dropbox - 2016-06-13 13.35.02.jpg

Richard,

Thanks for all the info. Great looking pool. Looks like a lot of work to get it updated and ready for this year.

Any reason the area surrounding the pool is dirt or gravel (I can't tell) instead of grass?

How do you chlorinate a pool of that size?

Are you required to have a lifeguard on duty?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Richard,

Thanks for all the info. Great looking pool. Looks like a lot of work to get it updated and ready for this year.

Any reason the area surrounding the pool is dirt or gravel (I can't tell) instead of grass?

How do you chlorinate a pool of that size?

Are you required to have a lifeguard on duty?

Thanks,

Jim R.

The surround is pea gravel, grass is a nightmare to mow and doesn't always grow well, and it used to be regular stone but pea gravel is nicer on the feet.

Last year (2016) used tablet (3") chlorine, this year, 10% (trade) bleach :)

We have to disclose if we do not, and post conspicuously -- so that is our method. Adults only so it's a "swim at your own risk" thing.