Thread Archive Policy

Jun 22, 2016
FL
What is the policy to archive, or remove a thread from the forum? For example, in the under construction forum there is approx 3 pages of threads, but there are many others that likely have had activity in the last few weeks. What is the method for cutoff in the forum? i find myself frequently scrolling for certain recent builds that disappear over time. Of course I can find them with the search feature, but I dont always remember them by name. And sometimes there are 5 pages of threads, other times 3 pages. It is confusing.

Thanks for the clarity.

You can always "subscribe" to a thread and be notifed by email of any new posts to it. Only Moderators and up can delete threads from public view. Lord only knows how far back our threads run..............2007 I think.

Grump,

If you scroll down to the bottom of a section, you will see "Thread Display Options". As a default, this is set to "Last Week". You can change this to anything from "Last Day" to the "Beginning" of that section. I think this will fix your problem.

If you go to your Settings (under Pool School), then pick General Settings on the left, then scroll down to the Thread Display Options, change the Default Thread Age Cut Off: to "Show all threads"

Nothing ever expires or gets archived and rarely is anything deleted. You can look back to the beginning ;)

If you go to your Settings (under Pool School), then pick General Settings on the left, then scroll down to the Thread Display Options, change the Default Thread Age Cut Off: to "Show all threads"

Nothing ever expires or gets archived and rarely is anything deleted. You can look back to the beginning ;)

I'm trying to find a particular build thread in 'Under Construction' from around 2014 to 2015. Sadly that's the only clue I can remember to help with keywords. I'm looking for photos of a pool with only vague images flashing through my mind.

I followed these instructions (btw, very clear), but it didn't work. I also checked the setting on the page of threads to make sure I didn't have the show of threads set to last week (or other). Still, I'm only seeing 90 pages of threads taking me back one year. Is there a way to see the pages going further back than page 90? I want to quickly scan the pages and hopefully see a thread title which jogs my memory.

One more question. I've come across mentions of bookmarking threads or posts, but I didn't pay attention to the directions. Is there a way to do that within the tfp website, or were they talking about bookmarking through the browser? I've been 'sharing' items to my email or text inboxes, but it would be handy to have them right here on the site.

Thanks!
Suz

One more question. I've come across mentions of bookmarking threads or posts, but I didn't pay attention to the directions. Is there a way to do that within the tfp website, or were they talking about bookmarking through the browser? I've been 'sharing' items to my email or text inboxes, but it would be handy to have them right here on the site.

Thanks!
Suz

Does anyone know about this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can subscribe BUT ask for it not to come to your email. Click on "only control panel" Then you can find the thread in "my search links" then "subscribed threads".

You can also pm yourself a link to a thread and save it that way. You can make different folders in PM to save them in. I have one named "saved links".

And I actively do not subscribe to anything because I don't want any emails.

Me too. I only subscribe if I am sure I want to come back to it, or care if it gets replies.

Like....the BBQ, Grilling and Smoking thread. Who doesn't want updates on that!!??? :chef:

Using subscribed threads (through control panel only) is by far the easiest way.

Gee whiz, Patrick, thank you! With the help from ya'll, I spent a few hours today on my subscriptions. Apparently I had my settings to auto subscribe to every thread and post I've ever made! Lol!! I'm ditching a bunch and sorting the rest into folders (I'm a nerd with organizing). I have a long way to go, but it's fun seeing a lot of old threads I had forgotten. When I finish, maybe I'll be able to find posts/pictures I need to help answer someone's question. It's going to be much easier now!

Nice thread. I am surprised at how many people don't know about the thread tools->control panel subscribe (and I assume also my search links ->subscribed) so perhaps a pool school page or sticky is merited? just a thought. Perhaps something like, "advanced forum tips and tricks"

That's a good idea to give people like me a little tech help. You might want to start a new suggestion thread with a related title to get more responses.

Update: thanks to all the help here, I sorted through 22 pages of auto-saved subscribed threads. Each one now has a home in an appropriate folder and some threads didn't make the cut.

I really enjoyed going through all those threads. I was only skimming (with a few exceptions of getting lost in the story), but it was fun.

The sad part: so many threads began with such excitement and then suddenly dropped after only 1 or 2 pages. What happened? Then there was that great build on a cliff overlooking hills in CA. Gorgeous, but no completed photos. Some longer build threads suddenly stopped after plaster or only partial fill. It's like the movie film snapping from the reel right before the ending!!

Frustrating part: missing or incomplete signatures. Seriously?! I'd become awed by a pool finish and no note of it in the signature. I didn't have time to flip back through 22 or so pages to find the mention of the color or finish make. I guess if I were building a pool again, I would take the time to go back and look, but it sure eats up research time.

Still I really enjoyed looking back!

Oh, and I did find that one particular build thread I kept seeing flash in my mind! It didn't have the landscaping I was looking for, but it was fun to see again.

Thank you, All!
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.