Generic DPD powder vs. Taylor Brand

Jun 11, 2015
Wellington, FL
I ran out of DPD powder and came across this listing on Amazon.
The powder is in pre-measured foil packs. Is there any reason this powder would work any differently with my Taylor R-0871 drops than Taylor brand DPD powder?

I am considering these for 3 reasons:
1. They are pre-measured
2. I don't have to worry about them getting wet
3. They may last longer since they are sealed

That's a total chlorine reagent so it likely contains iodide in it to measure both FC and CC together. You would not be able to get separate numbers.

There may be a pillow packet of FC only DPD powder.

Also, notice that you are limited to a chlorine concentration of 2mg/L (2ppm). So you would need to use multiple pillow packs to get a higher reading.

I did see that. I guess I will stick with good ole Taylor. Thank you for your input!

You can certainly try it if you want to experiment. If you wanted to measure between 0-10ppm FC, you'd need to add 5 packets of powder and then titrate.

Those packets are designed for a Hach colorimeter that is likely used in drinking water analysis so the 2ppm limit is applicable. I do believe they make pillow packs that go higher, but you'd have to search their website to see if you can find the p/n for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.