Short time reader, 1st time poster

Oct 13, 2016
MA
Hi,

As a pool owner for just over a month, I have obviously been on here already to help out with a couple of disasters and thought I should finally introduce myself, so I can't start seeking advice!

Firstly upon taking ownership of our new house, I decided to completely ignore that the water was slowly turning green until it was obviously GREEN!

After doing some internet reading, youtubing and visiting some pros, we shocked the mess out of the pool and soon it was a nice cloudy blue.

I used some clarifier to getting it looking nice, then, being clever decided I already knew so much and back washed the filter. Having done this, I then decided, as now fully qualified expert, to recharge the filter with DE. This seemed easy enough but we quickly noticed that the return jets started to eject it straight back out into the pool!

As you can now imagine, we now have a cloudy pool again. Clarifying stuff has helped somewhat and the Polaris has removed much from the bottom of the pool, however it still remains cloudy.

I assume we have a rip in the filter somewhere and (not trusting myself) are getting someone in to look into and replace any ripped filters.

Will this likely solve the problem, on its own or will I need to do anything else to help clear the pool?

We're due to (hopefully,esp living in MA (awaiting on cover delivery)) close the pool soon, do we need to solve the DE issue before doing so?

One final question I have is that when the pumps first start lots of bubbles seem to come out of the returns, I can't remember this occurring when we first got the house, so I wonder if its a problem I've introduced and if so if its serious?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I certainly need it!

Hello WW and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your situation sounds like algae (green). The one-time shock or clarifiers treatments you tried will not resolve algae. You need chlorine and lots of it over a consistent period of time measured at the right amount. To do that, you need to augment your K-2005 tester with the FAS-DPD tester for FC & CC levels. YOU can get it HERE. Then you need to refer to the SLAM page (link in my sig) to perform a SLAM. A SLAM can take a few days to a week or two depending upon the severity of the algae and the owner's consistency following the SLAM page. It's really your call at this time with your pool closing approaching.

As for the air bubbles, that would seem to indicate air entering the suction side from somewhere. Hard to tell without more info. If it's only happening at start-up you might worry about that issue next season and just try to resolve the algae situation. If you can tackle the algae now before closing, it would sure make opening in the spring much easier. Let us know if you have any questions or how you would like to proceed. Nice to have you with us.

Thanks both for your replies.

Sorry, I should have clarified re the algae that we followed a program of shocking the pool over the course of 4-5 days so I hope this is now resolved.

Is there anyway of knowing for sure if the problem has gone?

Otherwise I'll leave the bubbles till next year. I just want to get it closed now so I don't have to worry about it for 6 months, then look forward to using it next summer!

Thanks again!

Here is how we kill algae, SLAM Process. There are three criteria to test for to end the process and know that the algae is killed. You can follow this process now and open to clear water in the spring or you can close now and SLAM Process it in the spring.

You will need a good test kit to SLAM Process and to properly maintain your pool. I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. It is the best value, here's why, Pool School - Test Kits Compared

That is a large pool. If you are going to manage it successfully, you need some more reading.

Can you post your own test results?
After you saying it was large, I double checked with the wife as whilst its probable a bit bigger than most pools I've seen at people's homes, I wouldn't say it was 'large' and she has corrected me saying that she was told it is just 46,000.

Thanks for the SLAM link, we followed the instructions given at the time by the people at the Pool shop, placing 3 (IIRC) bags of powder shock in the pool every 12 hours for 36/48 hours, which worked but was obviously far from scientific like that method.

I can't wait till I've taken in a 10th of the knowledge here and feel like Im somewhat in control of our new destiny!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.