Having Trouble with PH and TA adjustments

Feb 10, 2016
Ormond Beach
Have been using the TFPC kit throughout the summer and am finding a common problem with PH and TA adjustments. For instance, today's test gave me these numbers: FC=3, Ph= 7.8, TA=90, CH=225, CYA=50. PoolMath indicates pool needs chlorine and baking soda to adjust the FC and TA numbers. What I am finding is that when I add the baking soda to bring up the TA, it throws my Ph up too high, which is easy to do because it is on the top end of good range. Typically at that point, PoolMath indicates pool needs Muratic Acid to bring the Ph down, but because the TA is on the low end of normal range, it adjusts TA too low. It has been a constant cycle. Please help me with better way to balance the two, or let me know if there is something i could do better. Thank you.

I would stop adjusting the TA. Your concern is the pH. IMO, the normal TA for my pool is whatever stabilizes the pH around 7.7
Right now it is 80 and have not adjusted pH in weeks. During the summer it was 70 and I was adding about 4-8oz muriatic acid to pool each week.

Others will have more technical advice. I think a TA below 50 is when it becomes a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.