Two Speed Pump......Recommendations Please

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
So the motor of my Hayward SuperPump went out and I'm thinking of switching to a 2 speed pump (to save electricity costs) instead of just swapping out the motor. I currently have a 1 hp Hayward SuperPump and it seems to work just fine (or it did). My lot is flat and the pump pad is roughly 25 feet from the edge of the pool. I have 2 skimmers, 3 returns, and a main drain. I also run a PB4 booster pump for my Letro Legend. After looking online, I found the one linked below. Would this be the proper replacement for me? Seems like a good price and well regarded. I guess I should just stick with a 1 hp, correct?

Link

So I just spoke to a guy at a pool store and he said 1 hp isn't enough for a 30k gallon pool. He said 1.5 hp would be the minimum he would recommend. He said it would improve clarity greatly. I told him I've never had issues with clarity or anything else running my current pump. So is this guy just full of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, 1hp is plenty. The Superflo is a good pump. It will save you lots of money. It will use about 25% of the electricity on low speed.

Thanks for the input pooldv.....and you saw that my pool was 30k gallons, correct??

You started that sentence with "So I just spoke to a guy at a pool store " The answer to any question after that is "Yes, they have little to no idea what they are talking about"

Only you know your pool. As long as your pool was staying clear as glass using an older 1hp, then you will be just fine with the 2 speed option you selected.

I'm curious about what I will need to do with regards to my pool cleaner (Legend with PB4 Booster). Can I just leave the pump on low at all times? My cleaner is currently on a Intermatic timer so that it comes on for an hour or so each day. Am I going to have to put some type of controller on the pump so that it switches to high while the pool cleaner is on?

You'll have to see if the cleaner operates efficiently with the pump on low. My pressure cleaner did ok with my variable speed pump at fairly low rpm. If not, international makes a 2 speed pump timer that can switch it to high. I got to a point with my cleaner that I just ran it manually when it needed it and quit running it daily on a timer. Now, I have a robot and life is better!

I think the unions might fit the Pentair pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.