Winterizing

Jun 2, 2015
Kingston ma
So after reading through a bunch of posts i still have a few questions regarding closing the pool. This will be my first time doing it and everything seems pretty straight forward but still have a few questions.

1. When draining the pool, i have 2 skimmers and a main drain. Can put the sand filter on waste and close the 2 skimmer valves and just use the main drain to drop the water 4" below the returns?

2. When blowing out the lines, i plan to use a compressor attached to my pentair vs pump and add into the system at 10PSI using a craftsmen pancake compressor. What setting should the valve be set to? recirculate or backwash or filter?

3. Once i go along and cap each port as the water is blown out, how do you add anti freeze into the system? Do you do this after all the lines are blown? Uncap the skimmer and pour straight in How do get anti freeze in the returns? Assume you keep the main drain valve closed so water isn't reintroduced into the system. Just not sure about returns and skimmers.

TIA-

1. Yes, this will work to lower the level of your pool.
2. 10 psi may not be adequate, feel comfortable up to 25 psi or so. PVC is rated significantly higher than that. Use recirculate or filter; recirculate bypasses the filter (obviously) while filter will actually speed up draining the filter once you've removed the drain plug. Do not exceed the pressure rating of the filter with your compressor. At 10 or even 25 psi you will be fine, but if you have to go past that be sure to look for the pressure rating on the filter sticker itself.
3. Yes, add anti-freeze after all is blown out. Adding it to the returns always requires a bit of ingenuity - look for any opening in the piping pool side of the filter and pour it in. Sometimes this is the heater outlet pipe, chlorinator, etc. You don't need it in the filter once its drained and preferred not to put it in the heater once that is drained if you have one. Skimmer - yup, once water level is below just open and pour in.

All that being said, lots of folks winterize without anti-freeze. It is your call, but if it is a struggle to get it into the returns I would not worry too much about it.

thank you... next question

So i drained the water level to a couple inches below the return and a couple inches over the lights. I then left all valves open and hooked up my compressor to the pump drain and set it to 25 psi. The returns all seemed to blow out fine and they were capped.

My question is how do you blow out the skimmer and main drain? Do i need to close the skimmer valve and/or change the settings on the filer to be closed? Sorry for all the questions and appreciate the help. i haven't seen any specific answers or steps to my questions on the forum

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.