Green pool, plan to drain ASAP

Oct 13, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Hello all,

Current issue:
Pool has a lot of debris and algae sitting on the sides and bottom of the pool. When we tried to manually vacuum it in the past we realized that the algae particles were passing right through the sand filter and back in the pool. We tried to vacuum and directly backwash but eventually realized how quickly the water level went down. Currently, our water level is too low for the pump to run. Our CYA is 250+ because we inherited this pool this past May.

Initial plan:
Our initial plan was to leave the pool how it is, drain it once the temperature here in AZ goes down, manually clean out all the debris at the bottom, and get it chemically washed along with the filter by a professional.

New plan:
As of this morning, our plan is to raise the water level until the filter can run. Add liquid chlorine or bleach for a few days until the pool water is clear (we've done this in the past). Maintain this clear water until we are able to drain the pool. When time comes, we will drain it, clean out debris, chemically wash it, clean the filter, and fill it during one weekend to avoid any mechanical damage to the pool.

Please give suggestions on our plan. We were quite neglectful with maintenance of the pool because of the CYA knowing we were going to have to drain it eventually. We look forward to active maintenance after draining it soon.

Thank you all very much! Look forward to hearing your ideas and inputs.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

If you are sure about the 250 CYA, you may have to empty. I say this because poolmath tells us you would need 100-130 FC. That would require 30+ gallons of chlorine just to get started. And when u are all done, you won't want to live with a CYA level that high anyway.

But I'm new to this, so the more knowledgeable people will probably jump in if I've made an error, or maybe with better ideas.

But basically, the only way to get rid of CYA is by draining. And you want your CYA around 40 for a chlorine pool and 75 for a salt pool. So you would have to empty almost all of it anyway.

But it be sure about that measure. CYA is tricky to get right. My guess is, the previous owner used pucks, and that will keep adding CYA, even after you can't stand to have anymore.

Anyway, not sure why you would wait. I would not bother to spend money on a professional clean, unless there are other considerations, like you have calcium and want an acid wash, need repairs, have leaks in a liner, etc; or it is just not a job you are willing to do. I was able to clean mine ridiculously really well with a pressure washer (taking care to not get too close and ruin the plaster. It was really not too bad a job.

But we TFP will be able to help far more if you fill out your signature line. How many gallons? plaster? In ground?

Your welcome email will tell you how to do your signature.

in the mean time order a TF100 kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.