Backwashed drained pool a bit

Oct 13, 2016
Phoenix
Hi, I am new here and also a new pool owner. I went out when I got home from work to backwash a little bit in prep for some algae treatment. My son came out and I shut it down and went inside. I forgot to close the backwash valve. I have a DE filter. I came out about 3 hours later to work on the pool again and had a heart attack as the yard is flooded and the water line is about 1.5' below the skimmer.

How bad does this mess things up? If anything? I've read it can tear the grids and also break the pump?

Any guidance is appreciated! Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

Not sure about tearing the grids. It can damage the pump if it runs dry too long. Best thing to do is fill it back up and give it a test run. Good luck!

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. Forgot I had posted. Pump seems to be working just fine still. I just cannot keep chlorine in the pool. I'm adding tons daily and it seems to be gone by the time I'm home from work. I think I just need to keep brushing and adding it until it can hold for longer than a day?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.