Plaster delamination - options for fixing

Jun 26, 2016
Boise Idaho
Hi. I have owned this pool for about 3 months now and it looks like I've got plaster delamination. I believe the plaster is original from about 1997. I have one spot where the blister has cracked open and the plaster came off to a depth of about 1/4" and there are more blisters that will eventually break off. The pool has about six patches from the prior owners repairing it.

In all, I would say I've got 2-3 blisters maybe 6" in diameter that will be 1/8"-1/4" deep and a couple dozen blister spots that are 1-2" diameter and less than 1/8" deep.

I understand the ultimate fix would be to tear out all the plaster and re-do the whole thing. Any idea how much that would cost?

What is the viability of fixing these spots? And how?
Also, I noticed that all the prior repairs are square in shape so it appears that they cut around the hole, chipped it out, and then replastered. Is that the way it needs to be done?

Can this be a do-it-yourself job or is a professional needed?

See attached pictures.

pool delam1.JPGpool delam2.JPGpool delam3.JPG

Thanks!

Steve

You need to re-do rip out/re-plaster the whole thing and let a pro do it. Re-Plaster is best left to experience, as this is not something you want to learn on. I don't have any idea what they charge where you are but around here, I would figure about 10k for a good quartz finish.

We have seen significantly higher pricing in markets with less pools and less compentition. It would be worth your time to have a couple of folks quote your pool.

10K for quartz in Idaho that seems like robbery, we do plaster here in Sacramento, CA in a big pool market 30k pool for standard plaster would be about 5800.00 quartz 7800.00

I live in Chicago where 10K sounds about right. It's really hard to use CA, TX, AZ or FL as a standard for pricing any pool service. We have very little competition and in many cases the plasterers use the same company to sandblast/prep, so there's not much variance on that part of the project's cost.

Thanks for the reply everyone.
So I am understanding from this that there isn't much point in patching the blister spots. I was hoping I could patch these and extend out the time before I need to re-do the whole thing.
Give than the plaster coming off is fairly shallow in depth, what is the harm in letting the blisters delaminate? Is this mainly a cosmetic issue or will that cause additional problems down the road?

The only real reason you need to replaster the pool is if it is leaking significantly. As long as the pool is holding water the rest is just cosmetic. Plaster is normally about 3/8"-1/2" thick.

I had a pool company come out today and they indicated that I should tear out the plaster and replace it in the Spring time. They believe the prior owners let the pool stay dry for a long time in the summer when they replaced the tile and it has resulted in micro cracking all over the plaster and over 200 hollow spots where it will eventually delaminate.

I'll be getting several bids per Pooldv's comment.

Any other advice on preparing for this? Should I get warranty type information? Any specs that I should mandate on the bid? Any advice here is appreciated. It is going to be a big $$$ hit.

Thanks, Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.