To seal or not to seal moss rock

Time to make a decision on sealing. The builder is recommending that they seal the rocks when they do the coping. Since this is moss rock I'm not sure that makes sense? Wouldn't that clog up the pores and keep moss from growing? Maybe it's an aesthetic decision. Just curious if you guys had any experience with this.

Also, the colors int he rock really come out when wet. Standard sealing won't change the appearance, but I understand enhancing would. If sealing is recommended, would enhancing vs standard sealing make any difference on way or another?

Sealing would likely inhibit the growth of moss but is moss something you really want in and around your pool? Seems like you just be introducing a lot of organic debris into the water that way.

As for sealing versus not sealing, it's really up to you. A good quality penetrating sealant like DryTreat 40sk or DuPont StoneTech will certainly keep moisture out of the pores but you will have to reapply the sealer on a scheduled basis (typically anywhere from once every 18months to 3 years depending on heat and sun exposure). Typically a penetrating, non-color-enhancing sealer will darken the stone a shade or two, but it should be minimal. Unless you are really trying to go for a specific color, then using any kind of "enhancer" probably doesn't make much sense given the fact that you'll be re-applying it. In other words, Day 1 after applying the enhancer will make it look awesome and then every day after that it will get lighter and lighter until you reseal it again. So somewhere between those two endpoints you'll be looking at the stone and thinking, "Gee, that's not the look I was hoping for...".

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up having the PB to they're standard thing- they seal coping and moss rocks with non-enhancing penetrating sealer. They also pressure-washed prior to sealing. IMO, it turned out great. The coping did get a shade or two darker, and maybe the rocks did, but I really can't tell. The pressure washing no-doubt took off a lot of dust and grime exposing the colors. I'll have to keep my eye on a re-sealing schedule, but I think sealing is the way to go.

The one thing that perturbed me for a while, is a white residue that appeared on top of some of the rocks. I'm pretty sure the installer didn't wipe away the excess, but I'm not overly concerned about it. In the spillway/waterfall the water blends it in or covers it, and elsewhere you really can't see it because it's at the top of the back-beam of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.