Need some hot tub help

Hlk82

May 23, 2015
Amesville, ohio
Hi. So, we are trying to get our hot tub up and running for the winter and I decided to use the tfp way as I had a lot of success with it in the pool this summer. I am having some troubles. One of the main issues we always had with our tub while using the pool store chemicals (Baquaspa) is that the water was cloudy with white particles that would settle. And a white film would form on the tub from the particles, not from being dirty. Of course as I didn't have a good test kit, I'm realizing maybe things were quite off.

Anyway, I have my test kit now. I used ahhhh some in the tub, drained and cleaned it and filled it back up. We immediately had the particles in the water once the water warmed up and the jets started going, so I figured maybe it had to do with the chemicals being off. I adjusted everything, and finally seem to have things in closer to normal range, but the white particles are still there. What are they? Also, why would my tub, which is covered and has yet to be used, go from 9ppm FC to 1 in a day?

Here are my current numbers:

Ch: 225 (was 75 when I first added water, and unfortunately my hubs measured wrong and added a bit too much)
Ph:7.5 (was over 8.2 when first tested)
Ta:40 (overshot a little, so need to add a little baking soda, but was 140 when first filled)
FC: 1
Cya: didn't test, but assuming 0 since I just added water. I added a trichlor puck this morning to raise the level some, but seeing as our tub is covered I don't think we need a high cya, right?

We have a 325 stand alone tub. I'd like to use it. But I get worried about the bacteria and stuff and so I want to make sure I'm running things right....never got a course in how to take care of your hot tub!

Hi. Thanks! Is there anyway to get rid of it, if it is scale from the ph being too high? And it can happen that quickly? ��

I have read the link provided. I am trying to get my water in the ranges it says, but it seems we overshot the CH. is that a huge problem?

I am planning on adding some borates to the hot tub as well.

I have a puck in the tub right now, so I'm hoping the FC won't drop to 0. I am concerned about how much it dropped within 24 hours before I added the puck though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.